Founded in 2005, Energy Futures Lab is Imperial’s oldest Global Challenge Institute. The Institute was set up to address global energy challenges by identifying and leading new opportunities to serve industry, government and society at large through high quality research and advocacy for positive change. The institute aims to promote energy innovation and advance systemic solutions for a sustainable energy future by bringing together the science, engineering and policy expertise at Imperial and fostering collaboration with a wide variety of external partners.
Our Research Themes
Policy and Innovation
Developing new energy service propositions and regulatory and policy frameworks
To instigate and develop world-leading energy research and education that addresses global challenges and to ensure that Imperial College remains a vibrant and stimulating place to develop ideas, innovative technologies and positively impact society in the UK and internationally.
Excellence in research, innovation and education through a culture of multi-disciplinary working that integrates the science, engineering and policy expertise at Imperial and in collaboration with industry and other partners to produce systemic solutions.
Energy Futures Lab’s strategy is embodied in these five aims:
- Position Imperial to influence the international debate on the energy transition.
- Maintain at the College a healthy and connected set of research activities in research.
- Initiate research programmes and support ongoing activities in major challenge topics.
- Inspire and enable future leaders in the energy sector.
- Aid College staff and students to create and amplify impact from their research.