Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme
UROP Bursaries 2020-21
Expression of interest for UROP Bursaries for summer 2021 are now closed.
Students who have already requested an application form have until 4pm Friday 12 February 2021 to submit their application.
If you are a full-time undergraduate degree student at Imperial College you are invited to apply for funding for the College’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP). All Visiting (non-degree) students, intercalating students and external students are ineligible to apply for this bursary; however, they are welcome to arrange a UROP placement at Imperial College London without bursary funding from this scheme.
A bursary contributes towards the living costs associated with undertaking a research experience (the UROP) within Imperial College during the summer.
Please be aware that only one application form per student will be considered for a UROP bursary. If multiple applications are received then the application with the latest submission date will be assessed for an award.
UROP has furthered the research ambitions of students for nearly 40 years and continues to be the College's focal point for students who wish to develop an appreciation of research and the environment within which it takes place. Students and academic staff are encouraged to consider the possibilities that the UROP system offers.
Imperial College is striving to be a truly inclusive university and is therefore keen to receive applications for these bursaries from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as these groups have been under-represented in recent UROP bursary schemes.
|Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary||Faculty of Engineering UROP Award||Imperial College UROP Award||Malcom Weir UROP Bursary (Faculty of Natural Sciences Only)|
|Fee status||EU or Home||ALL||ALL||ALL|
|Where in their degree||Middle years of their degree (1st and final years are not eligible)||In any year||In any year||In any year|
|Value of award||£332.40 per week||£325.50 per week||
£325.50 per week
Please note: Bursary is the same amount regardless of the length of the placement. Awards with two recipients will be split 50/50
£2,500 flat amount
|Duration of research experience||6-10 weeks||6-12 weeks||
|Cross Faculty award||Not available||In extraordinary cases||Available||Not available|
How to apply and deadlines
UROP bursary applications for summer 2021 will open on Tuesday 5 January 2021.
- Submit an Expression of Interest form in applying for a bursary. You do not need to have a UROP fully agreed (or registered) in order to submit your expression of interest. Where two students are applying for a joint basis for one Imperial College UROP Award, you only need to express your interest once, under one of your names. You can then complete a single application form for both of you.
- Complete an application form which will be sent to you within the 24 hours, or the next working day, of you submitting your expression of interest. You must have provisionally agreed a research experience with a member of academic staff before you apply.
- Your Supervisor will be sent a form for them to submit their supporting statement. They will be sent this form 24 hours, or the next working day after the submission of your application.
You only need to complete one application to be considered for all of the above centrally managed bursary schemes. When completing the application form please consider the following:
- Reflect on your First thoughts and motivations for pursuing a UROP;
- Provide specific examples, rather than broad statements;
- Describe, in layperson terms, what the project is about, and why it is important;
- Check spelling and grammar
Please be aware that only one application form per student will be considered for a UROP bursary. If multiple applications are received then the application with the latest date will be assessed for an award.
Priority will be given to those students who have not received an award before.
The Expression of Interest form will close at midday on Wednesday 10 February 2021.
The Application deadline for students is 4pm on Friday 12 February 2021.
Supervisors must submit their supporting statement by midnight on Friday 26 February 2021.
If you have any queries about the process to apply for a UROP bursary, please email the Student Financial Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report directly to the EPSRC at the end of their research experience.
- Imperial College UROP Award
- Those expecting to graduate in June 2021 are also eligible if their proposed research experience concludes by 30 September 2021.
- Applications for a bursary can be made by either:
- one undergraduate;
- or two undergraduates undertaking a joint UROP. In this case, the application must be clear as to the contribution of each student. Work is usually split 50/50, with both students commiting equal time and effort to the UROP. The bursary will also be split equally between the students.
- Malcom Weir UROP Bursary (Faculty of Natural Sciences)
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report to the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the end of their research experience.
If a student is successful with their application, the host department may allocate additional funds (on top of the granted award) to make a combined total of £400 per week for the student. This is done at the host department’s discretion, and they will be responsible for processing any additional bursary payments which are approved.
All applicants will be notified by Friday 16 April 2021 whether they have been successful.
The bursary is paid in a single instalment on Wednesday 7 July 2021.
Further information about other UROP funding opportunities is available via the UROP web pages.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will receive full terms and conditions in the Award confirmation.