Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme
Applications for UROP Bursaries 2019-20 are now open
Please complete the Expression of Interest form to request an application form.
If you are a full time undergraduate degree student at Imperial College you are invited to apply to the College’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP). Visiting (non-degree) students and intercalating students are ineligible to apply.
A bursary contributes towards the living costs associated with undertaking a research experience (the UROP) within Imperial College during the summer of 2020.
Please be aware that only one application form per student will be considered for a UROP bursary. If multiple applications are received then the application with the latest submission date will be assessed for an award.
UROP has furthered the research ambitions of students for nearly 40 years and continues to be the College's focal point for students who wish to develop an appreciation of research and the environment within which it takes place. Students and academic staff are encouraged to consider the possibilities that the UROP system offers.
|Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary||BP UROP Awards||Faculty of Engineering UROP Award||Imperial College UROP Award||Malcom Weir UROP Bursary (Faculty of Natural Sciences Only)|
|Fee status||EU or Home||ALL||ALL||ALL||ALL|
|Where in their degree||Middle years of their degree (1st and final years are not eligible)||In any year||In any year||In any year||In any year|
|Value of award||£327.10 per week||£298.93 per week||£298.93 per week||
£298.93 per week
Please note: Bursary is the same amount regardless of the length of the placement. Awards with two recipients will be split 50/50
£2,500 flat amount
|Duration of research experience||6-10 weeks||6-12 weeks||6-12 weeks||
|Cross Faculty award||Not available||In extraordinary cases||In extraordinary cases||Available||Not available|
How to apply and deadlines
Please note that the UROP applications for 2019-20 are now open.
- Submit an Expression of Interest form in applying for a bursary. You do not need to have a UROP fully agreed (or registered) in order to submit your expression of interest. Where two students are applying for a joint basis for one Imperial College UROP Award, you only need to express your interest once, under one of your names. You can then complete a single application form for both of you.
- Complete an application form which will be sent to you within the 24 hours, or the next working day, of you submitting your expression of interest. Naturally, you must have provisionally agreed a research experience with a member of academic staff before you apply.
- Your Supervisor will be sent a form for them to submit their supporting statement. They will be sent this form 24 hours, or the next working day after the submission of your application.
You only need to complete one application to be considered for all advertised bursary schemes.
Please be aware that only one application form per student will be considered for a UROP bursary. If multiple applications are received then the application with the latest date will be assessed for an award.
Priority will be given to those students who have not received an award before.
The Expression of Interest form will close at midday on Wednesday 12 February 2020.
The Application deadline for students is midday on Friday 14 February 2020.
Supervisors must submit their supporting statement by midday on Friday 28 February 2020.
If you have any queries about the process to apply for a UROP bursary, please email the Student Financial Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report directly to the EPSRC at the end of their research experience.
- BP UROP Awards
- BP usually prefer not to fund a final year student.
- BP will select students based on how well a research experience correlates to their own activities.
- Only the following host departments are available for the BP award: Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and the (Faculty of Engineering) Departments of Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Earth Science and Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- A student will be required to submit feedback to BP at the end of their research experience.
- Imperial College UROP Award
- Those expecting to graduate in June 2020 are also eligible if their proposed research experience concludes by 30 September 2020.
- Applications for a bursary can be made by either:
- one undergraduate;
- or two undergraduates undertaking a joint UROP. In this case, the application must be clear as to the contribution of each student. Work is usually split 50/50, with both students commiting equal time and effort to the UROP. The bursary will also be split equally between the students.
- Malcom Weir UROP Bursary (Faculty of Natural Sciences)
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report directly to the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the end of their research experience.
If a student is successful with their application, the host department may allocate additional funds (on top of the granted award) to make a combined total of £350 per week for the student. This is done at the host department’s discretion, and they will be responsible for processing any additional bursary payments which are approved.
All applicants will be notified by Friday 17 April 2020 whether they have been sucessful.
The bursary is paid in a single instalment on Friday 7 July 2020.
Further information about other UROP funding opportunities is available via the UROP web pages.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will receive full terms and conditions in the Award confirmation.