Faculty of Engineering
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education* across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
* Includes undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes of study and short course provision. The Committee may consider items related to postgraduate research provision, for example the results of the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, if there are not other groups or committees in place to do that within the Faculty/Centre.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example through consideration of the outcomes of student survey results and staff‐student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To ensure the effective implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) including for any collaborative programmes (iii) the development and ongoing oversight of an action plan to address issues arising through the annual monitoring process.
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports and identify and monitor actions arising from the reports at Faculty and College level.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRB) on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision and make recommendations for action as appropriate.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee proposals for and changes to short course provision in accordance with the schedule of delegation.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee major modifications for existing programmes of study.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee for approval changes to the threshold and additional entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To have oversight of programme specifications for taught degree programmes and course specifications for short course provision.
- To have oversight of marking schemes and schemes for award of honours.
- To oversee departmental arrangements for the consideration of special cases for admission and to have oversight of all special case decisions.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve new student exchange partnerships and the renewal of existing student exchange partnerships and report these to QAEC.
- Where applicable, receive minutes from the joint management boards for the Faculty’s collaborative programme.
- To report regularly through summary reports to QAEC.
- Where appropriate to appoint sub‐committees to carry out the above responsibilities.
To be quorate a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- At least two student representatives;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Director of Academic Quality and Standards;
- A representative from the Educational Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and Postgraduate Representation Committee representative
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching (Chair)|
|Professor Nigel Brandon||Dean|
|Professor Jason Riley||Vice-Dean (Education)|
|Mr Tim Venables||Faculty Operating Officer|
|Professor Martyn Boutelle||College Consul|
|Dr Errikos Levis||Aeronautics UG Representative|
|Professor Manos Drakakis||Bioengineering UG Representative|
|Professor Jerry Heng||Chemical Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Marc Stettler||Civil and Environmental Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Tony Field||Computing UG Representative|
|Dr Freddie Page / Dr Shayan Sharifi (joint paternity cover)||Design Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Mark Sutton||Earth Science and Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Christos-Savvas Bouganis||Electrical and Electronic Engineering UG Representative|
|TBC||Materials UG Representative|
|Dr Michael Bluck||Mechanical Engineering UG Representative|
|Professor Sergei Chernysenko||Aeronautics PGT Representative|
|Dr Neal Bangerter||Bioengineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Cleo Kontoravdi||Chemical Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Katerina Tsiampousi||Civil and Environmental Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Anandha Gopalan||Computing PGT Representative|
|Dr Leila Sheldrick / Dr Stephen Green||Design Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Martin Blunt||Earth Science and Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Pier Luigi Dragotti||Electrical and Electronic Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Johannes Lischner||Materials PGT Representative|
|Dr Ulrich Hansen||Mechanical Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Elizabeth Hauke/Dr Mark Pope||CLCC Representative|
|Dr Monika Pazio/Dr Tiffany Chiu||EDU Representative|
|Dr Pavel Berloff||Director of Ancillary Mathematics|
|Dr Fei Teng||Director of Education, Energy Futures Lab|
|Professor Niall Mac Dowell||Director of Education, IMSE|
|Jason Zheng||ICU Deputy President (Education)|
|TBC||Student Representative (CGCU)|
|TBC||Student Representative (RSMU)|
|Chris Harris||Head of Education and Student Experience Strategy|
|Matthew Shotliff||Education Projects Manager|
|Jennifer Victor-Smith||Education Support Coordinator (Secretary)|
|Scott Tucker||Registry Representative|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2022/23)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2022/23)|
|28 September 2022||14 September 2022|
|30 November 2022||16 November 2022|
|18 January 2023||04 January 2023|
|15 Febuary 2023||01 February 2023|
|24 May 2023||10 May 2023|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.