Faculty of Engineering
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education* across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
* Includes undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes of study and short course provision. The Committee may consider items related to postgraduate research provision, for example the results of the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, if there are not other groups or committees in place to do that within the Faculty/Centre.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example through consideration of the outcomes of student survey results and staff‐student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To ensure the effective implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) including for any collaborative programmes (iii) the development and ongoing oversight of an action plan to address issues arising through the annual monitoring process.
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports and identify and monitor actions arising from the reports at Faculty and College level.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRB) on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision and make recommendations for action as appropriate.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee proposals for and changes to short course provision in accordance with the schedule of delegation.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee major modifications for existing programmes of study.
- To recommend to Programmes Committee for approval changes to the threshold and additional entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To have oversight of programme specifications for taught degree programmes and course specifications for short course provision.
- To have oversight of marking schemes and schemes for award of honours.
- To oversee departmental arrangements for the consideration of special cases for admission and to have oversight of all special case decisions.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve new student exchange partnerships and the renewal of existing student exchange partnerships and report these to QAEC.
- Where applicable, receive minutes from the joint management boards for the Faculty’s collaborative programme.
- To report regularly through summary reports to QAEC.
- Where appropriate to appoint sub‐committees to carry out the above responsibilities.
To be quorate a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- At least two student representatives;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Director of Academic Quality and Standards;
- A representative from the Educational Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching (Chair)|
|Professor Nigel Brandon||Dean|
|Professor Omar Matar||Vice-Dean (Education)|
|Mr Tim Venables||Faculty Operating Officer|
|Professor Martyn Boutelle||College Consul|
|Dr Errikos Levis||Aeronautics UG Representative|
|Professor Manos Drakakis||Bioengineering UG Representative|
|Professor Jerry Heng||Chemical Engineering UG Representative|
|Professor Mike Templeton||Civil and Environmental Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Tony Field||Computing UG Representative|
|Dr Freddie Page / Dr Shayan Sharifi (joint paternity cover)||Design Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Mark Sutton||Earth Science and Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Kristel Fobelets||Electrical and Electronic Engineering UG Representative|
|Professor Jason Riley||Materials UG Representative|
|Dr Michael Bluck||Mechanical Engineering UG Representative|
|Professor Sergei Chernysenko||Aeronautics PGT Representative|
|Dr Chiu Fan Lee||Bioengineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Rongjen Chen||Chemical Engineering PGT Representative|
Professor Bassam Izzuddin (until 30 November 2020) / Dr Stavroula Kontoe (from 1 December 2020)
|Civil and Environmental Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Fariba Sadri||Computing PGT Representative|
|Dr Leila Sheldrick / Dr Stephen Green||Design Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Martin Blunt||Earth Science and Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Christos-Savvas Bouganis||Electrical and Electronic Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Andrew Horsfield||Materials PGT Representative|
|Dr Ulrich Hansen||Mechanical Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Elizabeth Hauke / Dr Mark Pope||CLCC Representative|
|Dr Monika Pazio / Dr Tiffany Chiu||EDU Representative|
|Dr Pavel Berloff||Director of Ancillary Mathematics|
|Dr Fei Teng||Director of Education, Energy Futures Lab|
|Professor Niall Mac Dowell||Director of Education, IMSE|
|Ms Michaela Flegrova||ICU Deputy President (Education)|
|Mr Aleksander Ziolkowski||Student Representative (CGCU)|
|Ms Katie McCann||Student Representative (RSMU)|
|TBC||Student Representative (GSU)|
|Dr Phil Power||Head of Education and Student Experience Strategy|
|Ms Komal Patel||Education Projects Manager (Secretary)|
|Mr Scott Tucker||Registry Representative|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2020/21)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2020/21)|
|30 September 2020||16 September 2020|
|04 November 2020||21 October 2020|
|25 November 2020||11 November 2020|
|13 January 2021||22 December 2020|
|24 February 2021||10 February 2021|
|05 May 2021||21 April 2021|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Academic year 2018/19
- 26 September 2018 [pdf]
- 07 November 2018 [pdf]
- 28 November 2018 [pdf]
- 12 December 2018 [pdf]
- 18 December 2018 [pdf]
- 09 January 2019 [pdf]
- 30 January 2019 [pdf]
- 15 February 2019 [pdf]
Academic year 2017/18
Academic year 2016/17
- 28 September 2016 [pdf]
- 23 November 2016 [pdf]
- 22 February 2017 [pdf]
- 17 May 2017 [pdf]
- 13 June 2017 [pdf]
Academic year 2015/16
*Minutes to be approved at the next meeting.