Postgraduate Education Board
Postgraduate Education Board
Terms of reference
The specific responsibilities of each Board (for its remitted area) are to:
- Consider the strategic direction of programmes (current and future).
- Consider and give strategic approval for the establishment of new programmes and major modifications to existing programmes before they progress to the Programmes Committee.
- Consider and approve minor modifications to the curriculum content, structure, organisation, assessment and learning resources for relevant programmes
- Propose modifications to entry requirements to the Faculty Education Committee.
- Monitor the overall quality of provision, receiving reports from SOLE, the masters programme SSLGs, FoM SSLC, and national surveys (NSS, PTES, PRES), and identifying appropriate action in response.
- Discuss and disseminate information and good practice.
- Retrospectively evaluate interventions in programmes.
- To monitor the fair and consistent implementation of the policies, procedures and processes, with particular reference to health and safety, equal opportunities and widening participation.
- To monitor the quality of student support.
- To receive reports of student accidents and incidents and to recommend appropriate action as necessary.
- To approve the terms of reference of sub-committees (such as departmental committees), where appropriate, and to receive regular reports from them.
The Boards report regularly to the Faculty Education Committee in order that it can discharge oversight.
Constitution and membership
|Dr Sophie Rutschmann||Academic Lead for Masters Education|
|Professor Laki Buluwela||Academic Lead for Doctoral Degrees|
|Dr Duncan Rogers [NHLI]||Departmental PGT Academic Lead|
|Dr Michael McGarvey [DoM]||Departmental PGT Academic Lead|
|Professor Paul Aylin / Dr Christine Franey [SPH]||Departmental PGT Academic Lead|
|Professor Dan Elson [DSC]||Departmental PGT Academic Lead|
|Ms Eleanor Tucker [NHLI]||Departmental Education Manager|
|Ms Anita Stubbs [DoM]||Departmental Education Manager|
|Ms Hayley Atkinson [SPH]||Departmental Education Manager|
|Ms Alison Cambrey [S&C]||Departmental Education Manager|
|Professor Sue Smith||Director, Medical Education Research Unit|
|Professor Nigel Gooderham (co-opted)||Assistant Provost (Academic Promotions)|
|Dr Jeffrey Vernon||Senior Teaching Fellow, Postgraduate Education|
|Ms Trisha Brown||Head of School of Medicine Secretariat|
|Miss Susan English||Director of Education Management|
|Mr Gerry Greyling||Head of Business and Educational Development|
|Mrs Michele Foot||Learning Resources Manager|
|Ms Lisa Carrier||Head of Technology Enhanced Education|
|Professor Jeremy Levy||Director AHSC Clinical Academic Training Office|
|Ms Jo Horsburgh||Representative of EDU|
|Ms Men-Yeut Wong||Registry representative|
|Professor Sue Gibson||Director of the Graduate School|
|Dr Anwar Sayed||GSU Academic & Welfare Officer|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2019/20)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2019/20)|
|23 October 2019||02 October 2019|
|27 November 2019||06 November 2019|
|22 January 2020||07 January 2020|
|26 February 2020||05 February 2020|
|01 April 2020||11 March 2020|
|03 June 2020||13 May 2020|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.