Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example through consideration of the outcomes of student survey results and staff‐student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To ensure the effective implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) including for any collaborative programmes (iii) the development and ongoing oversight of an action plan to address issues arising through the annual monitoring process.
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports and identify and monitor actions arising from the reports at Faculty and College level.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRB) on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision and make recommendations for action as appropriate.
- To approve minor changes to existing programme curricula (including for existing collaborative provision) and short course provision in accordance with the College Academic Standards Framework and report these to the Programmes Committee.
- To recommend for QAEC approval changes to the threshold and additional entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To have oversight of programme specifications for taught degree programmes and course specifications for short course provision.
- To have oversight of marking schemes and schemes for award of honours.
- To oversee departmental arrangements for the consideration of special cases for admission and to have oversight of all special case decisions.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve new student exchange partnerships and the renewal of existing student exchange partnerships and report these to QAEC.
- Where applicable, receive minutes from the joint management boards for the Faculty’s collaborative programme.
- To report regularly through formal minutes and termly summary reports to QAEC.
- Where appropriate to appoint sub‐committees to carry out the above responsibilities.
To be quorate a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- At least two student representatives;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Head of Academic Services;
- A representative from the Education Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President
|Dr Roberto Trotta||Director of Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication as Co-Chair|
|Ms Kate Ippolito||Principal Teaching Fellow in Educational Development as Co-Chair|
|Mr Nick Burstow||ICU Deputy President (Education)|
|Mr Luke McCrone
|Mr Nicolas Cinosi||Student Representative|
|Ms Abigail Sawyer||Student Representative|
|Professor Jonathan Mestel||College Consul|
|Ms Aoife McCarthy||Manager, Educational Development Unit as Secretary|
|Dr Felicity Mellor||Director of Postgraduate Studies|
|Ms Boglarka Nagy||Student Representative|
|Dr Anna Nyburg||Evening Classes Coordinator|
|Dr Felicitas Starr-Egger||Director of Languages|
|Dr Robert Sternberg*||Lecturer, Science Communication Unit|
|Dr Stephen Webster||Head, Science Communication Unit|
|Ms Lucy Heming||Registry Representative|
|* These members will attend as alternates of the Science Communication Unit if the Head of the Science Communication Unit is unable to attend.|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2017/18)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2017/18)|
|02 October 2017||18 September 2017|
|06 December 2017||22 November 2017|
|07 March 2018||21 February 2018|
|18 April 2018||04 April 2018|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Academic year 2017/18
Academic year 2016/17
Academic year 2015/16
*Minutes to be approved at the next meeting.