Appointment of External Examiners
Appoinment of New External Examiners
External Examiners for taught programmes are appointed to a standard four year tenure. New appointments must meet the guidance laid out in the UK Quality Code.
All nominations must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org using the form below for approval by the Vice Provost for Education, following departmental endorsement.
- Guidelines on the appointment of taught course external examiners [BSc, BEng, MSci, MEng, MPH, MA, MEd, MRes, PG Cert, PG Dip, MBBS, I-Explore/Horizons and BPES]
- External Examiner Taught Course Nomination Form 2018-19
- External Examiner Taught Course Nomination Form 2019-20
For queries about appointment of taught programme examiners, please contact email@example.com
- Procedure for appointment of examiners for research degrees [PhD, MPhil, MD-Res and EngD]
- Nomination of External Examiners and Exam Entry Form
Induction of New Taught Programme External Examiners
The Quality Assurance Team will organise induction days between November and February for newly appointed taught programme External Examiners, and those who did not have the opportunity to join a session in their first year. A provisional agenda for these sessions is below:
Forthcoming Induction Days:
- Wednesday 22 January 2020
- Monday 24 February 2020
To book a place on an induction please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Departments may find the following documents useful for new taught programme External Examiners:
Key Guidance Documents for External Examiners
Please find in the document below key information that you should be provided with once appointed, as agreed by the College Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- Taught Programme External Examiner Roles and Responsibilities [BSc, BEng, MSci, MEng, MPH, MA, MEd, MRes, PG Cert, PG Dip, MBBS, I-Explore/Horizons and BPES]
- Research Degree External Examiner Roles and Responsibilities (PhD, MPhil, MD Res, EngD)
Conduct of Boards of Examiners Meetings
- Conduct of UG boards of examiners’ meetings [BSc, BEng, MSci, MEng, MBBS, I-Explore/Horizons and BPES]
- Conduct of Master's level boards of examiners’ meetings [MPH, MA, MEd, MRes, PG Cert, PG Dip]
Higher Education Acronyms and Terms (Apr 19)
External Examiner Expenses
The College will refund reasonable expenses incurred by our External Examiners in the course of completing their duties. Guidance is available in the claims form below.
Claiming External Examiner Expenses
- External Examiner Expense Claim Form (Taught Programmes) [BSc, BEng, MSci, MEng, MPH, MA, MEd, MRes, PgCert, PgDip, MBBS, I-explore/Horizons and BPES]
- External Examiner Expense Claim Form (Research Degrees) [PhD, MPhil, MD Res, EngD]
- Imperial offers a hotel reservations service for those visiting the College on business. They can assist with finding rooms close to our campuses for reasonable rates. For more information please click the link: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/visitors-accommodation/local-hotels/
- If you are attending the College in your role as External Examiner, and wish to reserve one of these room, please liaise with the Reservations Team by email to make your provisional booking, and copy in email@example.com . We can then arrange payment to the hotel directly on your behalf.
External Examiner Reports
Report Templates for Annual Reports
External Examiners for taught programmes are required to submit an Annual Report per year for each of the programmes which they examine. Where it is possible to do so, for example where you are appointed to examine a core programme with multiple pathways (year abroad, year in industry, with management etc.), the report can include all provision. If so, please ensure that where there may be specific considerations for a pathway or award that this is clearly signposted.
All reports should be submitted within one month following the Final Exam Board.
- 2017-18 External Examiner Report Template (for Microsoft computers)
- 2017-18 External Examiner Report Template (MAC Compatible) (for MAC computers)
- 2018-19 External Examiner Report (MBBS Clinical Examinations) (please complete if you have observed practical clinical examinations on the MBBS programme, i.e. PACES)
A link to the 2018-19 report for non clinical programmes will be published later in the year.
Fee payments will only be made upon submission of the annual report. The College reserves the right under the agreed terms and conditions to terminate an appointment, where a satisfactory report has not been submitted.
The College recognises that on occasion External Examiners may have a particular concern which they wish to raise outside of the general reporting arrangements. Further details are available below:
For queries relating to taught programme examiners [BSc, MSci, MSc, BEng, MEng, MRes, MA, MEd, PG Cert, PG Dip, MBBS, I-Explore/Horizons and BPES] please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries relating to research degree examiners [PhD, MPhil, MD-Res and EngD] please contact email@example.com