Faculty of Medicine
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example through consideration of the outcomes of student survey results and staff‐student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To ensure the effective implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) including for any collaborative programmes (iii) the development and ongoing oversight of an action plan to address issues arising through the annual monitoring process.
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports and identify and monitor actions arising from the reports at Faculty and College level.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRB) on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision and make recommendations for action as appropriate.
- To approve minor changes to existing programme curricula (including for existing collaborative provision) and short course provision in accordance with the College Academic Standards Framework and report these to the Programmes Committee.
- To recommend for QAEC approval changes to the threshold and additional entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To have oversight of programme specifications for taught degree programmes and course specifications for short course provision.
- To have oversight of marking schemes and schemes for award of honours.
- To oversee departmental arrangements for the consideration of special cases for admission and to have oversight of all special case decisions.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve new student exchange partnerships and the renewal of existing student exchange partnerships and report these to QAEC.
- Where applicable, receive minutes from the joint management boards for the Faculty’s collaborative programme.
- To report regularly through formal minutes and termly summary reports to QAEC.
- Where appropriate to appoint sub‐committees to carry out the above responsibilities.
To be quorate a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
The Undergraduate School Board and Postgraduate Education Board are sub-committees within the Faculty of Medicine. They have devolved responsibility for undergraduate and postgraduate quality assurance and standards respectively.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- At least two student representatives;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Head of Academic Services;
- A representative from the Education Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President;
Additionally the Faculty of Medicine Education Committee should include representation from the LKC Medical School
Membership (Academic year 2018/19) Name Role Mr Martin Lupton Vice Dean (Education) and Head of Undergraduate Medicine (Chair) Dr Sophie Rutschmann Academic Lead for Postgraduate Education Dr Jo Harris Deputy Head of the Undergraduate School Dr Laki Buluwela Academic Lead for Postgraduate Research Programmes Dr Jeremy Levy Director of the Clinical Academic Training Office Professor Alison McGregor Director of Undergraduate Science/ Departmental Education Lead Professor Steve Gentleman Departmental Education Lead* Professor Jeremy Nicholson Departmental Education Lead* Professor Sue Smith Departmental Education Lead* Professor Helen Ward Departmental Education Lead* Professor Peter Openshaw College Consul Dr Naomi Low-Beer Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine Representative Dr Chris Watkins Faculty Operating Officer Mr Richard Viner Faculty Finance Officer Ms Susan English Director of Education Management Ms Trisha Brown Head of School of Medicine Secretariat Mr Gerry Greyling Head of Business and Educational Development Mrs Rebekah Fletcher Lead for Learning and Teaching Strategy Mr Chris Harris Head of Programme Management Ms Men-Yeut Wong Registry Representative Ms Jo Horsburgh Educational Development Unit Representative Ms Nikki Boyd Educational Development Unit Representative Mr Alejandro Luy ICU Deputy President Education Ms Ute Thiermann GSU President *Departmental representatives are expected to send an alternate when they are unable to attend. Summary of the table's contents
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2019/20)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2019/20)|
|23 September 2019||09 September 2019|
|09 December 2019||25 November 2019|
|24 February 2020||10 February 2020|
|20 April 2019||02 April 2020|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.