Terms of reference
Terms of Reference
The Programmes Committee is a sub-committee of the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC). It has delegated responsibility from QAEC to consider proposals for new and major modifications to undergraduate and Master’s level taught programmes of study as well as the College’s EngD programmes. The Committee is also responsible for making recommendations to QAEC for changes to the College’s academic and examination regulations related to taught programmes and EngD programmes.
The Committee is also responsible for providing quality assurance oversight for courses that do not result in the award of the College but that bear the name of the College. This includes, but is not limited to, continuing professional development, Horizons, Business for Professional Engineering and Scientists (BPES) modules, pre-sessional courses, and summer school courses, including outreach. The Committee’s remit excludes the Graduate School’s professional skills development programme and Careers Service’s training programme which are quality assured separately.
Approval of Programmes of Study
- To oversee and approve an annual schedule of programme approval activity for the College linked to College Strategic Planning Round.
- To consider and recommend, to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee, the redesigned curricula from the Curriculum Review process, supported by the Curriculum Review Reference Panels and designed in alignment with the College's Learning and Teaching Strategy.
- To manage the approval process and programme development activity including providing advice at the initial stages in such areas as: regulatory queries; engagement with the College’s Mission; relevant College Codes of Practice and Strategies; and development of a Memorandum of Agreement (for collaborative programmes).
- To scrutinise the academic standards and quality of new programme proposals, including the content of the curriculum, the learning, teaching and assessment strategies and the curriculum structure.
- To ensure that sufficient external and independent consultation (including student consultation) has been sought in assessing the academic standards and quality of new programme proposals.
- To ensure that relevant internal and external reference points, including Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) requirements, have been taken into consideration in the design of a programme.
- To advise on modifications to the College regulations and procedures that affect taught programmes of study or related to EngD programmes.
Major Modifications to Programmes of Study
- To consider proposals for changes to existing programme titles, the suspension or withdrawal of programmes and major modifications to the curriculum structure, content and delivery of individual programmes in accordance with the College policy on Programme Modifications.
- To receive and endorse reports from Faculty Education Committees on the approval of minor modifications to approved curricula.
- Following appropriate strategic partnership approval, to approve all new collaborative modules (those which are run in collaboration with another institution).
- To ensure that sufficient external and independent consultation (including student consultation) has been sought for modifications
Short Course Approval and Modifications
- To maintain an overview of the quality, standards and enhancement of College’s short course activities.
- To approve new non-credit bearing short courses offered by departments and centres.
- To approve new credit bearing short courses offered by departments and centres.
- To approve new credit bearing online modules.
- To approve major modifications to existing short courses.
- To advise on modifications to College regulations and procedures that affect short course provision.
- To advise QAEC on developments in UK and international short course provision.
- To maintain oversight of the College’s Short Course Catalogue/website.
Constitution and membership
- a chair, nominated by the Vice Provost (Education)
- a senior representative for educational leadership from each faculty, nominated by the Dean (to include at least one Faculty Senior Tutor)
- a senior representative for the Continuing Professional Development Unit
- a representative for the Educational Development Unit
- the Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication
- a College Consul
- three student representatives nominated by Imperial College Union
- the Academic Registrar or nominee
- the Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement)
- an Assistant Registrar as secretary
|Dr Edgar Meyer||Chair|
|Dr Mike Tennant||Deputy Chair|
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Representative from the Faculty of Engineering|
|Dr Vijay Tymms||Representative from the Faculty of Natural Science|
|Professor Sue Smith||Representative from the Faculty of Medicine|
|Ms Jolande Bot-Vos||Representative from Imperial College Business School|
|Ms Betty Yue||Representative from the School of Professional Development|
|Dr Jo Horsburgh||Representative from the Educational Development Unit|
|Ms Kate Ippolito||Representative from the Educational Development Unit|
|Dr Roberto Trotta||Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication|
|Professor Jonathan Mestel||College Consul|
|Mr Alejandro Luy||Deputy President (Education), Imperial College Union|
|Ms Ute Thiermann||President, Graduate Students' Union|
|Mr Robert Tomkies||President, Imperial College Union|
|Ms Judith Webster||Head of Academic Services|
|Ms Lucy Heming||Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement)|
|Ms Men-Yeut Wong||Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement)|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2018/19)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2018/19)|
|11 September 2018||21 August 2018|
|16 October 2018||25 September 2018|
|27 November 2018||06 November 2018|
|08 January 2019||14 December 2018|
|19 February 2019||29 January 2019|
|26 March 2019||05 March 2019|
|07 May 2019||16 April 2019|
|09 July 2019||18 June 2019|
|Committee dates (Academic year 2019/20)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2019/20)|
|10 September 2019||20 August 2019|
|22 October 2019||01 October 2019|
|03 December 2019||12 November 2019|
|14 January 2020||17 December 2019|
|18 February 2020||28 January 2020|
|31 March 2020||10 March 2020|
|12 May 2020||21 April 2020|
|14 July 2020||23 June 2020|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary threeweeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Submission deadlines for new programme proposals should be agreed separately with the committee secretary prior to the meeting and is normally 12 weeks prior to committee.
Academic year 2019/20
- 11 September 2018
- 16 October 2018
- 03 December 2019
- 08 January 2019
- 18 February 2020
- 31 March 2020
- 12 May 2020
- 14 July 2020
Academic year 2018/19
- 11 September 2018 [pdf]
- 16 October 2018 [pdf]
- 27 November 2018
- 08 January 2019 [pdf]
- 19 February 2019
- 26 March 2019
- 07 May 2019
- 09 July 2019
Academic year 2017/18
- 05 September 2017 [pdf]
- 17 October 2017 [pdf]
- 19 December 2017 [pdf]
- 27 March 2018 [pdf]
- 01 May 2018 [pdf]
- 13 June 2018 [pdf]
Academic year 2016/17
- 06 September 2016 [pdf]
- 25 October 2016 [pdf]
- 13 December 2016 [pdf]
- 21 March 2017 [pdf]
- 09 May 2017 [pdf]
Academic year 2015/16
*Minutes to be confirmed at the next meeting