There are no vacancies at the moment at the Data Science Institute.
Research Fellow (Intelligent Data Processing and Curation) Closing date 07/05/2019
Salary: Level C £42,065 - £52,002
Location: South Kensington Campus
Closing date: 07/05/2019
Are you an excellent data scientist with a clear research vision looking to secure a personal fellowship and establish your own research group? The Data Science Institute (DSI) at Imperial College, in collaboration with Refinitiv, wishes to nurture the next generation of outstanding researchers and invites applications for an attractive and flexible fellowship for those wishing to develop a research career. The cost of your salary, commensurate with experience, for up to 36 months, with modest consumables, will be covered whilst you develop and submit strong applications for an independent externally funded fellowship to establish your own research group at the DSI. You will work in close collaboration with the team at Refinitiv, applying your research to day to day business problems, and aligning your research with Refinitiv’s priority business areas.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will develop compelling and original research in Intelligent Data Processing and Curation;
- You will develop a personal programme of research, developing research proposals and funding bids and be successfully awarded them;
- You will take initiatives in the planning and leading of independent research;
- You will direct the work of small research teams, supervising and taking responsibility for the research team;
- You will be engaged in cutting edge applied data science research;
- You will publish research papers in peer-reviewed journals;
- You will attend and present research at international conferences;
- You will promote the Group, the Department and the College and help increase their reputation;
- You will develop contacts and research collaborations within the College and the wider research community;
- You will supervise postdoctoral researchers, postgraduate students and undergraduate research projects;
- You will assist in the teaching at all levels including UG, BSc, PhD;
- You will be committed to personal development in order to succeed in career progression.
We are looking for researchers at any stage of their career who have:
- A very good academic track record including a first or upper second class degree and a PhD in computer science or a closely related discipline, or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience;
- Demonstrated an excellent start to their research careers, in either research or industry background;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Publications in high quality journals;
- Presented work at scientific conferences;
- The ability to demonstrate a clear research vision;
- Strong leadership and management skills;
- A commitment to personal development;
- An ability to extract, transform and load (ETL) data, conduct statistical analyses and make data-sets available in the form that internal or external stakeholder groups require;
- Knowledge of modern statistical programming languages;
- Knowledge of modern programming languages;
- Knowledge of the financial services sector.
This is a full-time, fixed-term position for 36 months.
We will provide mentorship from world-leading academics to enable you to reach your full potential. We also offer a very supportive environment for you to develop your research career, with full access to training courses and staff support within the College, including the award winning Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre and the Learning and Development Centre. You will be entitled to 10 days of learning and development activities per year and will have access to a range of courses and workshops, as well as support for developing your fellowship application(s) and mock interviews.
Data Science Institute
The DSI is a global challenge institute, formed to harness the talents of a wide variety of researchers across Imperial College to address some of the world’s most important issues. Imperial College London has chosen ‘leading the data revolution’ as a key research theme in its 2016-2021 strategy and the Data Science Institute has been created to act as a focal point across the College to address this topic. Our aim is to create a world class data science research base at Imperial College and foster collaboration and innovation in data driven research and education on a global scale. We welcome applications from all candidates whose research interests encompass intelligent data processing and curation. For more information on the research interests within the DSI please visit the DSI website.
The DSI has a strong track record in securing funding from a wide variety of funders including research councils and industry.
The Financial and Risk Business of Thomson Reuters is now Refinitiv. Refinitiv equips the financial community with access to an open platform that uncovers opportunity and catalyzes change. With a dynamic combination of data, insights, technology, and news from Reuters, our customers can access solutions for every challenge, including a breadth of applications, tools, and content—all supported by human expertise. At Refinitiv, we facilitate the connections that propel people and organizations to find new possibilities to move forward. As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. Therefore we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world−regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Refinitiv is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
How to Apply
To apply, visit www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search by the job reference ENG00796.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Fay Miller, DSI Research Group Administrator: email@example.com
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Imperial College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.