Department of Computing, Data Science Institute
Fixed Term for 12 months
Salary range £32,850 – £39,973
An exciting opportunity at the Data Science Institute (DSI) has arisen for a Systems Engineer to undertake the development of the Data Observatory (DO) systems, ensuring that platforms upon which the Observatory is running are constantly maintained and improved upon for the benefit of research.
Working with the Director of the Institute, the post holder will understand the needs of the DSI research team and will be able to develop novel tools and provide solutions to enable world-class data science research to take place. Alongside the DSI Director, they will be responsible for determining priorities and ensure that the systems produced are fit for purpose for a wide range of end users. This post provides a unique opportunity for training with leading developers in the field of visualisation, to assist in the up keep and design of a world class facility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in maintenance of: the DO, the Visual Corridor and the DSI Cloud
- Working closely with the System and Infrastructure Manager and the DO Team
The following experience is required:
- Docker and K8s
- Windows (Server and Desktop) and Linux (Server and Desktop)
- Experience of dealing with specific groups of people, e.g. sponsors, academics and business organisations
- To apply you must have a degree in computing or relevant engineering experience.
- Applicants should have strong development skills.
- You should also have a good understanding of developing client-server solutions, distributed systems and computational complexity, including understanding scalability, performance reliability and their difficulties.
How to apply:
Via our website at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search using vacancy reference number ENG01021. In addition to completing the online application, candidates should attach:
A full CV
A 1 page statement indicating why your expertise is relevantFor queries regarding the application process contact Fay Miller email@example.com
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 28th October 2019
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/