PG Rep Programme
Welcome to your role as a Postgraduate Representative (Rep)! The Postgraduate Rep Training Framework is designed to help you in your role. It consists of a package of development opportunities to: enhance your ability to represent and work better with others in meetings and departments; negotiate assertively, and to understand systems at College including SSC meetings.
PG Representatives, Academic Staff, Faculties, Student Union, Graduate Student Union and the Graduate School have worked in partnership to design this provision; and it is strongly recommended!
The aims of the ‘Postgraduate Representative Programme’ are to enhance your ability to:
- Identify your goals and relevant stake holders.
- Recognise contacts for you as a rep, and how to signpost others.
- Discuss and explore issues in order to determine appropriate solutions.
- Devise a flexible approach to assert your views and those of others.
- Assess contexts to apply your skills and better represent your peers.
Contacts for queries:
- Eve Campbell regarding representation training (e.g. Welcome and Wellbeing, Effective Meetings and Chairing)
- Dr Caroline Hargreaves regarding Course/Workshops (Assertiveness/Negotiations/Graduate School provision)
- Yi Yang, Deputy President for Education (DPE)
- Andreea Cojocea Deputy President for Welfare (DPW)
- ICU Representation Coordination Team regarding Imperial College Union inductions and provision
Workshops & Courses
Workshops & Courses 2
Assertiveness for Postgraduate Representatives
Postgraduate Representatives, Academics and the Union recommend that you will need to use Assertiveness appropriately as a representative.
We recommend that you attend the Graduate School Courses for either PhD or Master’s students and be sure to ask the tutors if you have specific questions regarding assertiveness as a representative:
Negotiation Skills for Postgraduate Representatives
Postgraduate Representatives, Academics and the Union recommend that you will need to use Negotiation skills appropriately as a representative.
We recommend that you attend the Graduate School Courses for either PhD or Master’s students and ask the tutors if you have specific questions regarding negotiations as a representative: