The procedures below replace the former College requirements for the completion of CASLAT. Procedures are summarised below for both new lecturers and lecturers who have undertaken some teacher training under the CASLAT programme.
The collated information of workshops and peer observations will be used as evidence of fulfilment of the teacher training requirements. A mid-probation review will be undertaken during year 2 of probation. This will involve the Academic Adviser and Director of Undergraduate Studies.
The Faculty of Engineering teacher training requirements for probationary lecturers (3-year probationary period) are as follows:
1. The attendance of three one-day workshops run by the Educational Development Unit (EDU):
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning
- Introduction to Supervising PhD Students at Imperial
- Introduction to Personal Tutoring at Imperial
The workshops are run several times a year.
2. The attendance of a half-day Faculty of Engineering workshop on Engineering Education (normally two workshops per year)
3. Peer observations:
|Observations details||Guidance and forms|
The observation of the teaching of at least two peers with documented follow-up meetings for reflection on the learning and development outcomes.
|Forms 1, 3 and 3b|
|The probationer to be observed at least twice by their peers, with documented follow-up meetings for reflection on the learning and development outcomes.||Forms 1, 2, 3 and 3a|
You can book a place on one of the EDU workshops through the Educational development Unit website.
The next Faculty of Engineering Engineering Education workshop will take place on Thursday 7 January 2021, between 1.30pm and 3pm. To book a place please email the engineering teaching team.