Support for student-facing staff (SfS)
A range of staff across our departments are involved in providing student support. We want to ensure that our student-facing staff (SfS) have access to the resources and training they need to support our students effectively
Continuing professional development (CPD) sessions for student-facing staff
In Spring and Summer 2019 the Faculty ran a number of CPD sessions, covering the following areas:
- Introduction to safeguarding in universities
- Mental health must now
- Positive communication for student-facing staff
- Suicide Awareness
- Self Harm Awareness
- Autism Awareness
Evaluations have been carried out for each session and will be used to inform future sessions for 2019 and 2020. If there are specific areas which you would like to see covered, please contact Komal Patel (email@example.com).
Other training opportunities and online resources
The following Faculty and College-wide training opportunities are available to staff in roles supporting students:
- Senior Tutors. A summary of the role of a Senior Tutor (UG and PGT) is available. In 2018-19, the role of Postgraduate tutor was renamed Senior Tutor (PGR).
- Senior Tutor induction for staff new in post. Please contact Komal Patel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Personal Tutors Health and Wellbeing Guide. The College has developed a Personal Tutors’ guide, which includes useful advice on supporting student health and wellbeing. Further details on health and wellbeing are available.
- Personal Tutoring training. The Educational Development Unit (EDU) runs a one-day workshop for staff who are (or will soon be personal tutors). Register for training.
- Mental Health First Aid Half Day. You can register for College training.
- Active Bystander. The Faculty of Engineering offers Active Bystander training for staff.
- Unconscious Bias. The Faculty of Engineering offers Unconscious Bias training for staff.
If you have an idea or request for specific training opportunities or online resources, please contact Komal Patel (email@example.com).
Where to go for further support
The Faculty Senior Tutor for Engineering, Lorraine Craig, is available for additional support and guidance, particularly in relation to more sensitive or complicated academic and personal student matters. Find further information and contact details.
There is also a range of services across the College available to support students most in need and requiring immediate and/or ongoing specialist support. Please refer to the Specialist Support page for further details.
College policies and procedures
Key College policies and procedures are available on the Registry Academic Governance webpages, including:
Your health and wellbeing
There are various College resources available to support staff in supporting their own health and wellbeing. Click on the following links to find out more: