Principles of Finance
Principles of Finance
This Summer School course serves as an introduction to the core concepts in finance. You will learn the nature and workings of financial markets and their use by corporations, investors and others, and the relevance of theory for financial and investment decision making. You will acquire skills in modern valuation techniques, including the pricing of fixed-income securities, equities and derivatives.
You will learn about the principles of finance, including:
- Market efficiency
- Asset pricing models
- Portfolio theory
You will develop an understanding of:
- the basic principles of finance; the time value of money, the notion of compound interest, the definition of the internal rate of return, the valuation of financial instruments and the perpetual growth model.
- How to apply the criteria that companies use to make investment decisions.
- The concepts of market efficiency, portfolio risk and diversification.
- The principal functions of capital markets.
- The distinct features of main financial instruments including debt, equity and financial derivatives.
- the general principles of the pricing and use of financial instruments.
Further information about Principles of Finance is available in the course outline.
Delivered by a mix of face-to-face lectures and classes, lecture content and class material will be made available through an interactive online teaching and learning hub – The Summer School Hub.
Workshops will use case studies, structured discussions and in-class exercises to demonstrate the application of concepts as you learn. You will also be expected to complete private study and exam preparation work outside of your scheduled classes.
A guest speaker programme, with presentations from high profile financial institutions, will put the course material into a practical context.
- Multiple choice question quizzes – (30% of final mark)
- 1 final individual examination – (70% of final mark)
Imperial College London will issue an official transcript with a final overall numerical mark – a breakdown of results will not be provided.
Imperial College London reserves the right to change or alter the courses offered without notice.
Guest speakers and trips
Guest speakers such as recent Business School alumni working in relevant industries will visit the Summer School. Trips will also be organised to compliment your learning, for example previous classes have joined the London Finance Walking Tour which covers the origins of London’s financial centre from its humble beginnings in 17th century, and learn how the City of London developed into a global financial centre.
Course dates: 1 – 19 July 2019
Direct contact hours: 45
Academic level: Equivalent to an undergraduate course
Entry requirement: A level maths (grade B or above) or equivalent
Suggested credit level: 3 – 4 US / 7.5 ECTS credits. Your home institution will determine how much credit is awarded
Applications are open for Principles of Finance Summer School 2019.
Summer School Student Blog
Take a look at our helpful Summer School FAQs
How to apply
Find out more about the application process