Ask an Alum scheme
Imperial alumni go on to have all sorts of exciting and varied careers, but when you’re still studying it’s not always clear where your journey will take you after graduation.
Imperial College Careers Service runs the Ask an Alum scheme, an initiative which enables current Imperial students to review a database of anonymous alumni profiles and ask one-off questions to alumni about their industry, role and/or prior professional experience.
As an Imperial alumnus you are in a unique position to offer advice to current students of Imperial who are interested in a career in your chosen profession.
Volunteer Role Description: Careers Service - Ask an Alum scheme
We are reviewing the Ask an Alum scheme and are recruiting alumni who would like to help shape the new scheme.
This role would suit somebody who...
- has completed a degree at Imperial College London
- is currently working/employed
- is willing to share their experience and answer questions about their job and career path
- is willing to support and encourage present Imperial students to develop their professional skills.
- is able to access a device with internet connection
What are the benefits?
- (Re)connect with the College as a volunteer.
- Inspire and make a difference in the lives of the next generation of Imperial graduates.
- Support the College and share your professional experience and learning with students.
- Gain satisfaction from helping motivated students to increase their confidence and progress with their career choices and ambitions.
What to expect
You will be asked a few questions about your career in order to create your Ask an Alum profile. Your contact details will never be viewable on your profile or shared with any students, unless they ask a question specifically for you.
You will be given the option to answer four additional questions to create a professional biography that will be viewable to students and alumni via a restricted login area on the College website. This will supplement their enquiries and hopefully encourage a wider breadth of questions. Please note this is optional and you can continue to engage on the scheme without having this biography.
Once a student poses a question to you, the Careers Service will email you the requested question and copy in the relevant student for your response. We ask that you respond within five working days of receiving the email.
The Careers Service will limit the number of requests sent to each alumnus over the academic year.
The questions will require around 30 minutes of time to answer, and alumni will be expected to answer up to five questions per calendar year.
How to get involved
This opportunity has a rolling registration period. You can register to join the scheme by completing the online registration form. If you have any questions about the scheme, please contact the Careers Service team via email on email@example.com.