Information for guardians
Why Global Summer School?
At Global Summer School we aim to challenge and inspire our students to prepare them for life after school. We plan an exciting schedule of academic and social activities every year. Please visit Engineering, Medicine and Life Sciences or Physics to learn more about the programme.
Guardian information for the residential programme
Support and supervision
At Imperial, we take our responsibility to protect students from harm very seriously. Safeguarding during the Global Summer School programme is overseen by a Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Students are also assigned an Academic and Pastoral Mentor, who are current undergraduate students, for the duration of the programme. Mentors supervise students at all times, other than when they are in their rooms.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding safety or supervision, we encourage you to get in contact with the Global Summer School team.
Staying in touch
Global Summer School is a fantastic developmental opportunity and students will have the chance to make plenty of new friends. However, it is very normal for students to feel some homesickness whilst living away from home. While most students find that homesickness is only temporary, mentors and staff members will be available at all times to discuss any worries or concerns.
We recommend that all students bring a mobile phone, appropriately insured, as this will be the most convenient way to stay in touch with family and friends at home.
WiFi is available across campus, including the accommodation.
We advise students to not bring large amounts of money. We encourage students to bring a small amount of spending money for gifts and travel around London. Three freshly prepared meals per day will be provided and do not need to be budgeted for.
Your safety is of great importance to us, and we are here to provide support throughout your experience.
- All halls of residence have swipe card entry, CCTV and 24-hour manned security offices across campus.
- A residential team of pastoral mentors provide round-the-clock support and supervision in each hall of residence.
- Students will be allocated an academic and pastoral mentor, who are current Imperial undergraduate students, for the duration of the programme. Mentors supervise students at all times, other than when they are in their rooms.
- All pastoral staff and student mentors have a valid, enhanced DBS check and have been vetted to ensure they are suitable to work with young people.
- Key members of Global Summer School staff have completed relevant safeguarding training.
- Prayer facilities are available on campus.
- All our activities are risk assessed and a full health and safety briefing will be carried out at the start of the programme
Summer School students will be chaperoned by our Pastoral Mentors and Senior Residential Assistants (SRAs) for all social activities to ensure the safety and comfort of the whole group while exploring London and other parts of the UK. Pastoral Mentors and SRAs stay in campus accommodation alongside students to provide 24-hour support.