Engagement framework and goals
Empowering people through engagement with science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM)
At Imperial, we’re putting engagement into practice across our nine campuses as well as at schools, hospitals and cultural and community spaces. This builds on a proud legacy of civic engagement: Imperial has always been deeply rooted in London life and our pioneering research has brought benefits to wider society since 1907. We’ve found a real sense of momentum for engagement amongst the College community and we're committed to supporting it.
Motivations for societal engagement
- To be engaging, inspiring and accessible to young people of all backgrounds
- To foster scientific confidence, knowledge and understanding in society
- To enrich our research and enhance our impact, by being more responsive to society
- To build respectful collaborations that enable the public to be involved and valued in our work
- To enrich our student, staff and alumni experience and enhance their skills development
The Societal Engagement Framework
We have developed a framework to bring about a step change in our approach to societal engagement. It aims to strengthen how we recognise, support and embed engagement with the public as an integral part of our work. There are four key areas of focus:
- Schools outreach and widening participation
- Local community engagement
- Patient engagement
- Public engagement with research
Read our full Societal Engagement Framework (pdf).