Remote and online learning technical requirements
Your device and internet access are two of the most important components for a rewarding remote or online experience. We want to make sure that you have all the necessary resources available to make the most of your experience.
The information below will help you to review whether you have the hardware, software, and internet access required.
Successful participation in our online and blended programmes or for remote teaching requires students to have uninterrupted access to the following:
- Mobile or desktop device with a camera and microphone that has internet access
- The latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge web browsers
- Mobile or desktop device where Zoom, Panopto and Microsoft Office 365 (licenses will be provided) can be accessed
- Mobile or desktop device that allows software to be downloaded and updated from the internet
- Mobile or desktop device that allows media to be played such as Vimeo or YouTube videos
Minimum and recommended hardware specifications
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.2 GHz or higher)
- RAM: 4.0 GB
- Hard drive: 120 GB
- Operating System: PC - Vista, Windows 7, 8, or 10. MAC - 10.7 or better
- Wireless card: 802.11b/g
- Webcam: 1.3 Megapixel (640x480 minimum resolution)
- Speakers or Headphones
- Processor: I3 2.5GHZ dual-core or equivalent
- RAM: 8.0 GB
- Hard drive: 240 GB+
- Ethernet card
- Wireless card: 802.11g/n
- Headset with microphone
You will see some recommended software below but must be able to confirm unrestricted regional access to the aforementioned technologies. Imperial College Business School may use software solutions, programs, and services that are not announced or available in your country. It is your responsibility to ensure your access is not limited by any current or future geographical restrictions.
- Microsoft Office 2013 (PC), 2016 (PC or Mac), or 365
- Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime, or VLC Media Player
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- IE/Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
A minimum download speed of 1.5 Mbps. This is commonly the speed associated with a basic DSL or a mobile connection. A faster connection, such as cable or fibre service will further enhance your online experience. A Wi-Fi connection is generally acceptable but is dependent upon one of the two services mentioned above.