Class of 1950 - 1959

Alan John Fry (Physics 1954)

Provided by his wife Marianne Fry

 26 August 1930 - 27 February 2019

Alan was born in London on 26 August 1930.  He was a St Paul's Cathedral Chorister, evacuated with the Choir to Truro during the war. He continued his love of music whilst at Dauntsey's School, singing and playing the piano and bassoon – to which he was allocated, being tall and lanky. His interest and success in science took him to Imperial College London to read physics at the Royal College of Science after serving as a Lieutenant in REME during National Service. Whilst there he continued his involvement with music as President of the Music Society and singing in the choir. He graduated with a First and was awarded an ARCS. He set up his company, Alan Fry Controls Ltd, manufacturing at that time state-of-the-art electronic controls for industry. He married Marianne who he met whilst both were studying at London University. They had three children, the eldest son to his delight has taken over the firm; the second son writes and performs with his sister as his PA.  Throughout his life, Alan was original, curious and inventive and will be greatly missed by his family and friends.

Brian Bartlett (PhD Chemistry 1956)

Brian Bartlett (PhD Chemistry 1956)
Provided by Brian's nephew, Robert Bigg.

Brian Bartlett was born in Salisbury in 1932. He was educated at Bishop Wordsworth’s School and Blandford Grammar. One school report remarked, “He says little, but his comments show that he misses little of importance.” Despite concentrating on Maths, Physics and Chemistry, he found time for the School Operatic Society, something that would become a passion for the rest of his life.

Brian went up to Reading University where he gained a First in Chemistry, Physics and Auxiliary Maths in 1952. In that summer vacation, he gained two months of research experience at the Shell Laboratory in Amsterdam before returning to Reading for a second BSc in Special Chemistry the following year. He then applied and was accepted for post-graduate research under Professor Tompkins at Imperial College London with a bursary of £325 per annum, to work on Explosive Decomposition. He gained his PhD in 1956 with a thesis on the “Mechanism of decomposition of solids”.

As a result of this work Brian, together with Tompkins and Young, published three papers on “The Decomposition of Barium Azide”, Mercury Fulminate and Silver Azide, the first being published in Nature and the last being the subject of a discussion meeting at the Royal Society in Burlington House in 1958. After Imperial, Brian joined the research department of Mullard in Southampton, working on semiconductor crystals.

The main focus of the work, was in Cadmium Mercury Telluride. It was first developed in the British government labs in Malvern, but they could not make it pure enough and stopped further development in 1958. However, a contract had been placed with Mullard to grow it as bulk crystal. Brian managed to solve the previous problems and first published on it in 1969. CMT is now a multi-million pound business and the work at Southampton (now under Selex ES) is classed as world-leading - a testament to his seminal contributions in the 1960-1970s.

Together with various colleagues he published many papers well into the 1980s in journals such as Infrared Physics, Journal of Crystal Growth, Journal of Materials Science, and the Philips Technical Review. He also participated in various international conferences.

At Mullard Brian was well respected and liked by all his juniors, peers and senior management, he was fair and even-minded, a great teacher and ran a happy and successful group for many years.

During his early years at Mullard Brian caught the eye of a young research assistant at the labs, Elizabeth Trigg. Romance blossomed, and they married in May 1964. They were a devoted couple complementing each other wonderfully. Elizabeth’s vivaciousness the foil to Brian’s dry wit. They travelled widely, especially in the south of France but also to Italy, to see the opera in Verona, Germany and the USA. Brian was also a keen photographer.

Sadly Elizabeth died of cancer in January 2002. They had no children. After a while Brian resumed his travels, kept up with their many friends, the wider family, his photography and of course his music.

Brian was a gentle and unpretentious person, since his death on 17 September 2018 various people, from a wide range of stages and situations in his life, have all said “we enjoyed seeing Brian, he made us laugh”. You could not want for a better epitaph.

Brian W. Hester (Mining 1950)

Provided by Fred Barnard

1929 – 2018

Brian W. Hester passed away peacefully on 27 November 2018 at age 89. Predeceased by his son, Nicholas. He is survived by his loving wife of 59 years, Barbara; children, Ken (Fabienne) Hester; Jim Hester (Amalia Lukacs); Jenny (Mike) Telek; and Paula (Keith) Young. Grandchildren Nicholas, Andrew, Kelsey, Sydney, Laura, William, Thomas, Laura, Tony, Austin, Kaylee.

Brian earned a BSc in Mining Geology from the Royal School of Mines, Imperial College London in 1950. In, 1953-54 he earned an MASc in Economic Geology from the University of Toronto.

After graduation in 1950, Brian took a position with the Tanganyika Geological Survey in the service of King George VI, following by a year in the (nationalised) British coal mines. He was then hired by a mining company to work in zinc exploration in Ireland for a short time, thence seconded to Canada, where he eventually married. In the 1970s, Brian was transferred to the Denver, Colorado area by his employer, the then mining giant Texas Gulf Sulfur. His 25-year stay in the USA was punctuated by a year's secondment to Australia.

In 2000, Brian and his Canadian wife Barbara retired to Vineland, on the Niagara Peninsula of southern Ontario. He remained very active with Canadian junior mining companies.

Brian was a true British gentleman, universally respected for his technical expertise, decorum and wit.

David (Dia) Smith (Civil Engineering and Surveying 1950)

David (Dia) Smith (Civil Engineering and Surveying 1950)

12.08.1923 – 07.02.2007

Provided by Elizabeth C Smith. 

After a period of ill health, Dai Smith passed away in late May, aged eighty-five. Dai, moved north from England for work reasons and settled with his wife Betty and family, in Killearn in 1967. After some time with P E Management Consultants he started his own business, Smith & East, management Consultants, specialising as a consultant to industry advising in energy conservation.

Born in Deganwy, N. Wales he was educated at John Bright's school, Llandudno and, on leaving, served an apprenticeship at BTH Rugby. From there he went to Imperial College London where war interrupted his university studies.

He served as an Engineer Officer in the Fleet Air Arm and completed his degree after the war. His work took him to many places in the world, in particular to Turkey where he was involved in the reconstruction of dams and to India where he was responsible for supervising large construction sites which were being funded by the World Bank to whom he reported. 

He was a lifelong promoter of the Welsh culture, organising singing festivals for the Welsh Society in Scotland, studying the native language for many years and was appointed President of the Glasgow Welsh Society. 

An enthusiastic singer, he was also an accomplished amateur actor, a lover of Shakespeare and a good comic. He was a keen rugby follower and in his younger days played for the second team of the London Welsh. Later he was a steward at matches at Murrayfield.  In the village, he was a member of Killearn Kirk and served as Property Convenor to the Kirk Session for some time. He was a member of Probus and the Neighbourhood watch and was a founder member of the Strathendrick Singers and appeared in all their productions. Classical music was his great love and listening to choral music, in particular Bach's B monor bass, brought him solace in his final years.  With his spectacles habitually pushed up on to his forehead, Dai was for many years a stalwart of village life.

He could be relied upon to bring to any task the benefit of his intellect and meticulous attention to detail. He was regarded as the patriarch of his large family. The courier offers sincere sympathy to his widow Betty, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Dr Maarten James Pikaar (PhD Chemical Engineering 1959)

Dr Maarten James Pikaar (PhD Chemical Engineering 1959)

22/11/1935 – 16/01/2018

Provided by Gertie Pikaar-Duistermaat, Jim’s wife, and Bernard Buntjer, brother in law of Jim.


Jim – the name by which he was known in everyday life – was born in Littleborough, England as a son of Dutch parents. He followed primary education in his home town and as his parents moved to The Netherlands, he received his secondary school education there. However, when his parents moved back to England again Jim was all too happy to start his university studies in the UK, which he finalised with a PhD from Imperial College London.


At the age of ten, Jim had made up his mind that he wanted to be an engineer and that is what happened. He spent his working life as a chemical engineer in various industrial corporations. The years working for Royal Dutch Shell plc, commonly known as Shell, served as the most influential ones for his professional development.


After a very short period with Kellogg International Corporation, he took up a position within Air Products Limited (APL). Much of his time was spent abroad: In the USA he was responsible for designing an ethane purification plant that was to be built in Brindisi, Italy where Jim, his Dutch wife Gertie and their first daughter also lived for a while. He was engaged in projects relating to heat exchanging and the vaporisation of liquid gas, including the financial aspects.

The experience with liquefied gases brought Jim to Conch – a company involved in transportation of liquid natural gas (LNG). He did so while remaining a Shell employee; Shell remained his employer for the rest of his career. During his Conch period the family – at the time composed of Jim, Gertie and two daughters – lived in Algeria for a couple of months, where Jim was involved in the overhaul of a plant in Arzew. In the auto-biography that Jim wrote in 2015, we read that “In Conch you could go (or be sent) anywhere”. Indeed, the USA, Trinidad, France, Brunei and Libya were among the countries he visited, mostly in the framework of the development of plants and the challenges relating to projects in the field of liquid gas.

Despite some early hesitations Jim decided in 1971 that he would respond positively to Shell’s request for him to move to The Netherlands and work at its Manufacturing division (MF). With a certain degree of regret the family – by then made up of three daughters – moved from Worcester Park to The Hague.

Jim was soon recognised as the expert in the field of safety and risk management. As a consequence, he was regularly sent to plants operated by Shell where accidents had occurred to find answers to vital questions such as: What were the reasons for the calamity? Had human errors been made? And, not the least important aspect: Who, or which organisation had to be held accountable for the accident? Could sufficient proof be found on the spot of the disaster despite the ruins that had resulted from the blast? The failure of a propane tank in Qatar, accidents in the USA, Abu Dhabi, France and Sweden are but a few cases in the investigation of which Jim was involved in, including the preparation of legal documents for use in court.

When he stopped working for Shell, Jim was known as someone you would need to consult and had to invite for conferences on safety aspects in the field of liquid gas. After his retirement, he set up his own consulting agency that, in addition to jobs for ministries in The Netherlands, also received assignments from his former employer.

Apart from being devoted to his work, Jim also had an outspoken love for music, not only as a passive listener but also as an active player of the harpsichord and the recorder, and as a member of the The Hague Choir. For the last eight years of his life Jim was physically impaired following a brain hemorrhage. Yet he managed to write an auto-biography from which, incidentally, most of the above given information has been gathered.

Jim’s ashes are buried in The Hague near his home, leaving wife Gertie, daughters Elspeth, Miriam and Madeline and grandchildren Boris, Max, Pia, Ruben, Jelske and Matthijs.

George S. Perry (PhD Chemistry 1959)

Provided by George’s wife Amy and daughter Rowena

 1928 – 2018

 George Stanley Perry was born in Hackney, London on 20 July 1928. At the start of the Second World War, George's school, The Coopers’ Company’s School, was evacuated to Frome in Somerset.  This disrupted his education but gave him a love of the countryside and the opportunity for new adventures such as cycling home to London in the holidays.

 After the war, George did his National Service and strived to complete his education. In 1953 he gained his BSc at West Ham College of Technology (under the umbrella of Imperial College London). He then went to Canada to McMaster University to gain his Master’s degree in Chemistry, returning home to London to Imperial where he achieved his PhD in Physical Chemistry in September 1959. He then began working at AWRE, Aldermaston and remained there until he retired in July 1993.

 George’s work was a vital and very important part of his life. He worked on some challenging projects and he valued the teams of people he was privileged to work with both in this country and in USA. He enjoyed his years at Aldermaston and his working visits to Oak Ridge, Rocky Flats, Los Alamos and Livermore. He was respected as a man of intellect and integrity and an excellent and enthusiastic scientist.

 Outside of work George played golf and bridge and enjoyed the opera and the Proms – his most recent visit to Imperial was to stay over when attending a Proms concert last August. Together George and his wife Amy visited their friends in USA and Canada, later they did two world trips taking in New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong and China. Within the last few years he discovered the delights of cruising and took up painting.

 On Thursday 27 December 2018 George died peacefully at home. He is survived by his wife Amy, daughter Rowena and son Douglas.

Ivor H Jenkins (Aeronautics 1950)

Provided by Christopher Jenkins


Ivor passed away on the 8January after a short illness. He was 90 years old and lived nearly all his adult life in Poynton, Cheshire. His wife, Edna, passed away in 2017. They were married in 1949 and had two sons, Christopher and Roland. Roland died in 1995.

Ivor was born in Tenby and lived at “Nythfa”, St Mary’s Street, Tenby. His parents were Margaret and Lewis (Harry) Jenkins and he had a younger brother, Mervyn, who passed away in 1996. Ivor was a former pupil of Greenhill Grammar School in Tenby.

Ivor leaves behind a son, two grandsons, a great-granddaughter and three great-grandsons.

Ivor was a well-loved father, grandfather and great-grandfather and will be greatly missed by family and friends.

John Garfield MA, M Chir, FRCP, FRCS (St Mary's Hospital Medical School 1954)

1930 – 2019

Bradfield College; Cambridge, Emmanuel; St Mary’s Hospital Medical School, London; RAMC 1956 – 58;      

Consultant Neurosurgeon, Southampton 1968 – 1992; President SBNS 1991 – 1992; Secretary EANS 1983 – 1987; Honorary Civilian Consultant Adviser in Neurosurgery Army Medical Services 1986 – 1992; Council Medical Defence Union 1972 – 2000.

John Garfield qualified in 1954. While working in neurology at St Mary’s Hospital, he had a prophetic moment after three gin and tonics and decided to go into neurosurgery. He was trained by Wylie McKissock at Atkinson Morley’s Hospital between 1961 and 67 and was appointed Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Wessex Neurological Centre in 1968. There he formed a formidable team with Jason Brice and with energy, drive and considerable vision they developed a first-class unit.

John’s involvement with the new medical school, the university and postgraduate education in this partnership was fundamental in establishing and strengthening the place of neurosurgery in Southampton. John was a committed trainer of young neurosurgeons. His patience – even under the most trying moments – was enormous and enhanced his great quality as a technical surgical teacher. He taught trainees to be trainers.

As President of the SBNS (Society of British Neurosurgeons) 1991-92, he produced the seminal document “Safe Neurosurgery”. A surgical first in many ways, it defined the standards of safety and quality necessary for planning the future of the speciality. He was one of the first British neurosurgeons to embrace European neurosurgery (EANS) and became its secretary.

He wrote on many aspects of neurosurgery with definitive papers in cerebral abscess and the lumbar spine. He was involved in large European multicentre trials (EORTC) in the treatment of malignant gliomas. His contribution at the Medical Defence Union through his knowledge and clarity was immense.

John was an outstanding photographer (black and white) who produced a number of books, the most poignant called “The Fallen – a photographic journey through the war cemeteries of the Great War”. These photographs were exhibited at Southampton University (October – November 2018) as part of the centenary commemoration of the First World War and have been archived. Following this, John observed “I will die happy knowing that these photos have been preserved”.

Peter Lindon (Electrical & Electronic Engineering 1959, MSc 1961)

Died 19 January 2018
Provided by Jillian Lindon, Peter’s wife.

Peter Lindon was an alumnus of Imperial College London. He attended the university in 1957 as an undergraduate where he read Engineering. He continued with postgraduate studies until 1961 when he moved to Glasgow where in 1966 he completed his doctorate.

On leaving university, Peter considered following the family tradition. He came from a gifted artistic musical family – his father was the Principal Violinist and Leader for the London Symphony Orchestra. Peter worked for BBC Television in adult education as Director and Producer but returned to his main interest of electrical engineering.

Peter was a man with many interests. He had a fine, analytic, scientific mind and he was one of the founding members of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at the newly formed University of Sussex in 1966. Peter was extensively involved with university life – writing papers, developing curricula, supporting students, working with the Vice Chancellor, linking with industry and local and international enterprises.

Peter and colleagues worked on a funded research project to investigate a novel form of linear electric motor for advanced ground transport. This was a coordinated programme involving the Universities of Bath, Manchester, Nottingham and Sussex. Later, Peter concentrated on power electronics and he was also able to combine his love of electrical engineering with the theatre when he helped to design a novel new lighting system for Andrew Lloyd Webber's Starlight Express.

Peter had many and varied interests outside university life. He made an exceptional contribution to the community through his work in the NHS for over 20 years. He was appointed Chairman of East Sussex Area Health Authority in 1977 and later became Vice Chairman of Hastings and Rother NHS Trust.

After he retired, his musical interest came to the fore and he became determined to learn to play the French Horn and was able to play with the Lewes Concert Orchestra. Peter was chair of the New Sussex Opera Company and this reflected his deep love of classical music associated with the musical heritage from his violinist father.

Peter ended his life battling with the devastating consequences of Alzheimer’s, He was dearly loved by his family and friends and respected by his professional colleagues. He died of a brain tumour in January 2018.

Peter Michael Lind (Civil Engineering 1951)

Provided by his wife, Bonnie Lind

Peter was a civil engineer graduate of City and Guilds, Imperial College London, and obtained his MBA at Harvard Business School. Within his career, he was awarded several US patents in the plastic extrusion company and developed a device that made it possible for worldwide companies to save on plastic waste.

We met and married in Boston whilst he was attending Harvard Business School. We returned to England after graduation where we had two children. Here, Peter worked for his dad at PETER LIND & CO and had the opportunity to travel all over Canada and the USA. Whilst in the USA, Peter one day decided that he wanted to live in California. We moved and had two more children in San Francisco. Peter was a member of the City and Guilds alumni organisation and remained active in volunteering with the SF Symphony, international student exchanges and the usual activities associated with our children. He always followed the news of the developments and expansions of London University.

We all miss our dynamic husband and father who was the centre of all our lives.

Reginald Noel Shield (Aeronautics 1957)

16 January 1936 – 3 July 2018
Provided by Reginald's wife and daughter. 

Reginald Noel Shield (Reg) was born in Peterborough on the 16 January 1936, to Rex and Mabel Shield. He was educated at Hookergate Grammar School near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where he met Laureen, who would become his wife, before going on to study aeronautical engineering at Imperial College London. While at university, Reg joined the Imperial College Motor Club and would drive Boanerges (the only surviving 1902 James and Brown car) around the streets of the capital, causing traffic to come to a standstill as passers-by admired the vehicle.

After leaving university, Reg worked for English Electric, building aeroplanes at Wharton in Lancashire, including work on the Lightning and the ill-fated TSR-2. During this time, he and Laureen had two children, Christine and Ian. In 1966, he returned to his native Tyneside to work as a Project Manager for Parsons, later moving to Vickers as a Commercial Manager.

In 1980, the building where Reg worked was closed down and, still with Vickers, he moved to Eastleigh in Hampshire as a director of the Special Projects Group, which designed and delivered one-off engineering projects into the aerospace, defence, nuclear and high-end civil markets. A colleague from that time described Reg as “very much a people person, always open for discussion and always offering encouragement, never criticism - even when we were really up against it.”

Reg won a contract for Vickers to provide some unique sub-sea equipment for use in the North Sea, which required a great deal of time being spent in the USA. Consequently, he and Laureen moved to Dallas for six months in 1982, living in a hotel and working in a cramped portacabin. Laureen provided secretarial support without pay, to fill her time.

In 1987 came one final move, to Plymouth and Devonport Management Ltd (DML), where Reg became Commercial Director. DML took over the commercial management of the Devonport dockyard from the Ministry of Defence, requiring a great deal of work to renegotiate all the ongoing contracts in a short space of time. As the workforce was cut, Reg became focused on supplementing a rapidly reducing Royal Navy workload. Sales of ex-RN warships to foreign governments were an area that Reg and his team pursued vigorously: at one stage, Reg’s claim to fame could have been that he had turned the dockyard company into a global top 40 naval force. The company literally owned two Leander Class frigates and a couple of Oberon Class submarines while overseas buyers were sought. A major theme that Reg initiated and followed up was the super-yacht market. The cachet of a Royal Dockyard working on an owner’s yacht proved to be a sound marketing angle.
As Reg approached retirement, the business grew and his initiatives resulted in a number of extremely challenging design-and-build contracts for some very demanding owners. These one-off contracts were worth many tens of millions of pounds and provided important jobs and experience, both in Devonport and later Appledore in north Devon. Reg finally retired at the age of 65.

A capable engineer and businessman at work; at home Reg was a skilled craftsman, building intricate and authentic model boats, planes and baroque musical instruments, many of which he also played. He enjoyed a glass of fine wine, travelling in France and spending time on the English canals on his narrowboat Debdale.

A sudden and catastrophic illness in July 2014 left Reg with significant disabilities. He was nursed with dedication by Laureen, his wife of sixty years, and he fought hard to recover, defying the doctors’ expectations. However, his many illnesses finally got the better of him and he passed away peacefully at home on the 3 July 2018.

Reg’s long life might be summed up by Bessie Anderson Stanley:

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much;

Who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children;

Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;

Who has left the world better than he found it;

Who has looked for the best in others and given the best he had;

Whose life was an inspiration

Whose memory is a benediction.

W. R. (Bill) Jarvis (PhD Botany 1953)

15 November 1927 – 6 March 2018
Provided by Sarah Jarvis, Bill’s daughter, with material supplied by Dr. J. A. Traquair, a long-time friend and colleague.

Bill Jarvis, author of Managing Diseases in Greenhouse Crops (APS Press, 1992), died this year aged 90. He was born in Olney, Buckinghamshire, England to a farming family and, following a brief interruption for military service in the Royal Air Force (1946-48), Bill Jarvis was granted a BSc in Honours Botany from the University of Sheffield in 1951. He was awarded a PhD in Plant Pathology from the University of London and the Diploma of the Imperial College of Science and Technology (D.I.C) in London in 1953. He was accepted as a Member of the Institute of Biology (M.I.Biol.) in 1954.

During his education in the United Kingdom, Bill was fortunate to have been mentored by two world-renowned authorities in mycology and plant pathology: Professor John Webster instilled in Bill an unfailing curiosity about fungi and Professor William Brown ignited a passion for the biology, ecology and taxonomy of Botrytis cinerea and the control of grey mold disease on assorted hosts.
Bill’s study of Botrytis gray mould and various powdery mildews informed his research throughout his career. He became a world-renowned expert in fungal problems in plants. Bill worked on diseases of berry crops for 20 years at the Scottish Horticultural Research Institute in Invergowrie, Scotland. Sabbaticals to the Plant Pathology department at the University of California Berkeley (1963-64) and to the Plant Diseases Department of Scientific and Industrial Research in New Zealand from 1969-1970 furthered his research.

In 1974, he was offered a position at the Agriculture Canada Research Station in Harrow, Ontario where he worked on greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers, dealing closely with local growers. He was Head of the Plant Pathology department until 1989, and retired in 1994, but was contracted for four more years to finish research projects. His focus was on biological control of fungal plant diseases. While on a work transfer at Glasshouse Crops Research Institute in Rustington, England (1979-80), Bill worked on the isolation of yeast-like fungi that appeared on wild plants. This led to the development of a new type of biological control on cucumber powdery mildew when back in Harrow during the 1980s with Dr James Traquair. In collaboration with the Brampton supply company Plant Products and Dr Richard Belanger, a new biological control was patented as SPORODEX in Canada in 2002 and in the USA in 2003.

Bill was a dedicated educator, writer, editor, and supporter of diversity in education and hiring practices. With a wry sense of humour and creative talent, Bill was a keen volunteer with cultural and service organisations such as Rotary International and the Park House Museum in Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada. During his retirement, he ran an independent bookstore with his daughter, Sarah, and his wife Jo. He wrote chapters on local history for various publications and learned the art of tinsmithing at the local museum. He continued to support Sarah with extensive proofreading, editing, and creative work until his passing in March 2018. In addition to Sarah, he leaves his younger brother Roy (also an Imperial alumnus in engineering) in England, family and dear friends in Canada, Britain, the USA, and Germany.

A full appreciation of Bill’s work can be found here: Traquair, James A. (September 2004). “William R. Jarvis, B.Sc., Ph.D., D.I.C, M.I. Biol.” CPS-SCP News 48 (3) 88-90.

William Neil Fenton Boughey (Charing Cross Hospital Medical School 1954)

Provided by his daughter, Alison Boughey

3/1/1931- 27/12/2018

William Neil Fenton Boughey attended Charing Cross Hospital Medical School from 1949- 54, graduating MBBS. After 3 years in the RAMC, he returned to Charing Cross Hospital, holding house posts, specialising in orthopaedics; he gained the FRCS (Eng) and FRCS (Ed) qualifications.

He was appointed a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at the newly commissioned Pilgrim Hospital in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1971, where he and a consultant colleague built up a full orthopaedic and trauma service.

Previously there was no such service in South Lincolnshire, patients having to travel out of the area. He retired from the Pilgrim Hospital in 1992, but continued with medico- legal reports for the next ten years; also serving as a Boston Borough councillor for eight years from 1991.