Coffee & Coach
About the Coffee & Coach programme
Coffee & Coach is an established online career development programme open to alumni worldwide. As part of the recent graduates’ programme, it aims to support those who may not otherwise have access to career coaching opportunities.
Applications for the 2023 cohort are now open.
What does the programme involve?
Coffee & Coach offers free coaching-style sessions to early-career alumni who graduated from Imperial within the last ten years and have at least three years working experience. Recent grads (coachees) will be paired with a more experienced alumnus (coach) over a period of six months from June to November 2023.
Coaching is a 1-1 process that helps individuals think through their options in relation to a range of situations they may be facing in the workplace or in their career. Coaches will use a combination of tools and techniques to create a coaching style conversation that is rich in insight and learning.
The coach and coachee are expected to schedule five one-hour sessions during this period and focus on one of the following coaching themes:
- Career development and transitions
- Leadership and management
- Career progression/promotion
- Returning to work after a career break
What to expect from Coffee & Coach
Coaching uses a combination of observation, questioning, listening and feedback techniques to create a conversation that will allow you to develop greater self-awareness and feel empowered to take action.
Coachees are expected to be professional, motivated, open-minded, focused, and committed to the coaching journey. They are expected to come with an idea of the career-related challenge(s) they would like to focus on over the five sessions, and to challenge themselves, set goals and take action throughout the process.
- Are experienced professionals who can draw from their personal and professional experience.
- Will bring impartiality to the conversation.
- May, or may not, have technical expertise in your field.
- Will aim to help address specific career-related challenges.
- Will aim to support you in generating your own solutions and taking responsibility for actions, rather than giving advice.
- Will aim to bring a range of approaches, tools and interventions to the conversation.
- Must attend the mandatory online training session (Thursday 18 May, 18.00 - 20.15 BST).
- Must have graduated from Imperial within the last ten years and have at least three years' working experience.
- Will be motivated and committed to the coaching process.
- Will have an idea of the career-related challenge they want to focus on.
- Will be open-minded and willing to contribute to conversations openly and honestly.
- Will challenge themselves, set goals and take action.
- Must attend the mandatory online introduction session (Tuesday 13 June, 18.00 - 19.15 BST).