Deposit after publication
Guide to depositing a published paper in Spiral via Symplectic
To deposit a paper
You will need:
- a copy of the version of your paper that the publisher permits you to deposit (check your publication agreement or publisher’s self-archiving policy to find this)
- to let your co-authors know you are depositing a copy of the paper to an open access repository
If your paper has been accepted, but not yet published, see Deposit on acceptance.
1. Log in to Symplectic using your College username and password.
To deposit a journal article, conference paper or another output type, go to Publications and click on the link to the output type you wish to deposit to open the publication listing. If your paper is not listed, click on +Add New and select your publication type.
2. Click on the title to open the full record (if you wish to check the metadata) otherwise click on the Deposit tab to open the deposit page.
Please check your publisher agreement, this often includes a policy on depositing your work in a repository.
While most publishers allow this, permission usually only extends to the accepted version of your work, unless your publication is gold open access (paid an open access fee).
The publisher’s posting policy is available via the Sherpa Romeo guidance on the deposit page to help you to upload the correct version. If no information is available go directly to Sherpa Romeo. Alternatively, contact the Library's open access team or your librarian.
Where you see the statement "Must link to publisher version or journal homepage" and/or "Set statements to accompany deposits", you do not need to do anything - library staff will add this information to Spiral.
3. Click on Choose File to locate your file or enter an OA location if your article has been deposited in an external repository.
4. Select a version description that matches your paper from the drop-down menu. For more help see Publication versions. Click on Upload or Save location. Read and accept the licence agreement and click on Deposit my publication.
5. You have successfully deposited your publication.
6. Your submission will be processed by a member of the Open Access team, who will review the publisher’s open access policy, check that the correct version has been deposited, and apply any necessary embargoes.
You will be notified of your paper’s successful deposit in Spiral, and you will also be contacted if we need any further information about your paper to process it.
Your paper will then be made public and available for download from Spiral.
7. If you have any questions, or need further support and guidance, please contact the Open Access Team at firstname.lastname@example.org