This programme raises aspirations for higher education by providing students with positive role models for STEM subjects.
About Pimlico Connection
This peer-tutoring scheme has been running at Imperial since 1975 and sees students volunteer as tutors in local schools for approximately 17 weeks (November to March). The scheme aims to inspire students in STEM subjects, raising aspirations by providing students with positive role models for STEM subjects and higher education.
Since 2020 the programme has run online and this will continue in 2022-2023. This year we will be focusing tutoring on support for students in Y10 and Y11. If you have students in Y12 or Y13 who would like academic support, then please consider our online prorgammes (Levelling Up and mA*ths online) or one of our in person STEM programmes if you are close to London.
Pimlico Connection tutoring is free and open to all state schools. If we receive more applications for tutors than we can fulfil, we will allocate places to schools with consideration of factors such as percentage of pupil premium students and proportion of students living in low participation postcodes.
- Tutoring sessions run online for one hour per week, tutors can work with up to four students.
- Tutoring starts in November (after half term) and runs until March (Easter break). Session are on Tuesdays from 5-6pm, or Wednesdays from 4-5pm or 5-6pm.
- Most students login from home.
- We aim for tutors to work with the same students each week. Teachers can select the students who attend.
- Sessions are run online via Microsoft Teams, students are provided with an account to login to sessions.
- All sessions are moderated by an Outreach staff member, if any sessions are 1:1 they are recorded.
- All tutors receive training in teaching online and safeguarding. Session content can be prepared by the tutor based on student requests or provided by the school.
How to apply
Applications will open in September 2023 for schools to have tutors placed with them in 2023-2024. The link to apply will be on this webpage or sign up to our Newsletter to get updates on all our activities.