Masterclass 5: Engagement with Controversial and Sensitive Issues
Trainer: Societal Engagement team
Cost: Internal - no charge; External - not available.
This course is available to Imperial staff and doctoral students only.
Dates and venue information:
- Thursday 20th October 2022, 9.30am - 3pm, The Francis Crick Institute, London
If you have any questions, please contact the Societal Engagement team.
This masterclass will allow you to build on your learnings from the core masterclass by putting your ideas into practice.
Key areas covered
- Share experiences of communicating with the public around controversial, complex or emotive areas of research
- Workshop practical tips for engaging with a range of perspectives in relation to controversial and sensitive issues
- Discuss the importance of public engagement within these areas of research and the benefits of open conversation around these topics
- Consider how to engage the public with the research process and stimulate discussion around the role of evidence
Who is it for?
This masterclass is aimed at any Imperial staff member or doctoral student who:
- Has attended the core engagement masterclass or similar training through the Graduate School
- Is looking to build their confidence in engaging the public with controversial and sensitive issues such as climate science, nuclear energy, or animal research.
- Would like to share practical tips on how to effectively engage members of the public with emotive and complex issues
- Is interested in developing ideas for new activities for engagement with controversial and sensitive issues
*Please note that engagement activities that may support teaching and learning practice can be used to support an application for HEA fellowship via Imperial’s STAR framework.
How to book your place
This course is free, but please see the terms and conditions of booking on the Qualtrics form. Places are limited and will be booked on a first come first served basis with a waiting list.
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This session is run in collaboration with The Francis Crick Institute (https://www.crick.ac.uk/) and will be held in-person at either The Francis Crick Institute (NW1 1AT) or on our South Kensington campus. If you are unable to attend in-person or would like to explore the options for training at an alternative campus, please contact us email@example.com so that we can assess demand and discuss your needs.