Research showcase 2021
The FoNS Research Showcase 2021 comprises two separate competitions for our PhD student presenters:
Oral presentation competition
The oral presentation competition takes place as part of the main events on the 29 September (Departments of Chemistry and Life Sciences) and 30 September (Department of Physics, the Centre for Environmental Policy and Department of Mathematics).
Poster and video competition: VOTE NOW for your favourite video!
The poster and video competition sees our panel of judges evaluating our PhD student poster and video submissions in advance of the events. This year there is also the people's choice prize! The College community can vote for their favourite video until the 30 September 2021.
- First prize poster: £300
- Runner up poster: £200
- First prize video: £300
- Runner up video: £200
- People's choice prize - video (chosen by the Imperial community): £200
The People's Choice Prize: your vote
View the posters and videos that our students have submitted via the links below, and VOTE HERE for your favourite video! before the 30 September (Imperial staff/student login details required).
View the posters and videos
Department of Chemistry
Alicia Climent Catala
- Poster: A Synthetic Biology toolbox for electronic control of gene expression
- View a video of Alicia talking about her research
- Poster: High speed volumetric light sheet fluorescence microscopy of calcium dynamics in cardiomyocytes
- View a video of Liuba talking about her research
- Poster: Photoswitches for long-term solar energy storage and sub-zero optically triggered energy release
- View a video of Rosie talking about her research
- Poster: Sculpting multi-compartment synthetic cells with phase separation of DNA nanostructures
- View a video of Layla talking about her research
- Poster: Ionic Liquids: Custom Solvents for Future Challenges?
- View a video of Frederik talking about his research
Department of Life Sciences
- Poster: Characterisation of P. falciparum putative aquaporin AQP2 and its potential as a transmission blocking target
- View a video of Alexander talking about his research
- Poster: Darwin vs Wallace. The drivers of sexual dichromatism.
- View a video of Robert talking about his research
- Poster: Rapid evaporative ionisation mass spectrometry (REIMS) for biomarker discovery and mechanistic studies of Pseudomonas aeruginosa stress responses
- View a video of Rob talking about his research
- Poster: Metagenomics sheds light on the evolution of 'sunscreen' pigment metabolism in lichen-forming ascomycete fungi
- View a video of Theo talking about his research
- Poster: A Male-Drive Female-Sterile (MDFS) system in Anopheles gambiae targeting doublesex
- View a video of Anna talking about her research
Department of Physics
- Poster: Digistain: A Mid-Infrared Imaging Technique for Cancer Diagnosis
- View a video of Zamzam talking about her research
- Poster: They want to know how the solar wind varies with latitude
- View a video of Ronan talking about his research
- Poster: Automated methods to find high-redshift quasars in Euclid and LSST data
- View a video of Lena talking about her research
Department of Mathematics
- Poster: Microphase separation in scalar active matter
- View a video of Henry talking about his research
- Poster: The orbital diameter of primitive permutation groups
- View a video of Kamilla talking about her research
Centre for Environmental Policy
- Poster: "Community-Based Fire Management”: A colonial narrative?
- View a video of Abi talking about her research
- Poster: Energy for a Decent Life: Bringing together Poverty and Climate
- View a video of Jarmo talking about his research