College account set up
The College offers different accounts depending on who you are. Find out about the different College accounts and how they are set up below.
- Undergraduate student accounts are automatically created after you've received an offer to study at College but before you commence your studies.
- Postgraduate student and PhD candidate accounts are created and emailed to you as soon as you submit your application to College. If you already have a College account, your existing account remains valid. Find out more about how to apply to a masters or research programme on the Postgraduate web pages.
- Pre-sessional student accounts are created on request by a member of the department that is sponsoring the course. The course administrator should request the creation of your account before the course starts.
Student accounts remain active for a year after study ends (medicine student accounts remain active for two years), after which they automatically expire. Students will be notified before the termination of their student account. Alumni are encouraged to transition to an Imperial Plexus account.
Imperial Plexus (for Alumni)
Imperial Plexus is an intuitive new online platform for alumni; connecting you directly with Imperial and with each other.
As well as an Imperial Plexus account, you can register with College's exclusive alumni email service.
- A free Imperial address ending in @alumni.imperial.ac.uk
- Google mailbox service (including Google Calendar, Drive, Docs and Hangouts)
When you become a College employee your College account is created automatically. Before you can use it, you must activate your College account.
As an employee, your College account gives you access to systems and services vital to your role. Your line or departmental manager sets this access, and you can contact them if changes are needed.
If you move jobs within the College your username and password will remain the same, but your access may change depending on your new role. It is important to update your details as soon as possible to ensure you have the necessary access for your new role.
Accounts expire at the end of your employment or assignment and usually match the College ID card expiry date. NHS staff accounts expire two years after the last use.
Contractor and contingent worker
Contractors and contingent worker accounts are requested by sponsoring members of the College, line managers or supervisors. Depending what level of access is required and how long it is needed, the account may differ from usual College accounts (for example, they may not necessarily have an associated College email address or be able to initiate financial transactions).
Your account will expire at the end of your employment or assignment. For returning contractors or contingent workers it is not guaranteed that the College account will have the same login or access as any previously held College accounts.
Shared or role accounts
A shared or role account is an account not associated with an individual person, but with a group, team or function. The role account gives several users access to a mailbox or specific piece of equipment. In the case of successive staff carrying out the role, it allows one person to easily hand over work to another person if they leave.
Role accounts can be requested by authorised departmental contacts. These departmental contacts can request the role accounts via the forms on the Requesting the creation of accounts and aliases for email web page.
Contact the ICT Service Desk for more information.
Visitors and guests
For more information, please visit our Visitors and guests web pages.