Writing, planning and proofreading
MindView is a mind-mapping software package. It is an excellent resource for planning any written work using visual techniques. With MindView you can:
- Quickly generate ideas
- Organise your ideas into a structure
- Visualise ideas
- Attach documents and hyperlinks
- Create essay plans, revision maps, project management charts, lab reports, etc.
- Export to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, PDF, or image files
MindView is available to download from the Software Hub.
Supported operating systems: Windows
Turn your phone into a mobile scanner with CamScanner, a free mobile app. You can scan multiple pages into a PDF document and send it via email or sync it with cloud services.
- Send scanned documents anywhere
- Auto-enhance image quality
- Optical character recognition extracts text from images for editing and sharing
CamScanner is available for Android, iPhone, iPad and Windows Phone 8.
Download the app and find out more
Grammarly is a free contextual proofreading tool. Its advanced grammar, spelling and punctuation facility helps correct mistakes and improve grammar. Each suggested correction comes with a short explanation which can be expanded to give more detail and show examples.
- Intuitive grammar and spell-checker that works in the background
- Gives suggestions to improve style of writing and richness of vocabulary, so can improve written work over time
- Sends a summary of regular errors to enable the user to improve over time
- Uses the context of sentence to detect word confusion
- Works across almost online platforms used for writing e.g. email, Facebook, Twitter
Grammarly is available for download from the Software Hub and as an Android or iOS app.
Supported operating systems: Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows.
Spellex is a comprehensive spell checker and medical dictionary which runs in the background while you are using Microsoft Word.
- Improves the spell checking vocabulary of Microsoft Office to include a huge range of medical or industry specific terminology
- Provides powerful dictionary and thesaurus tools
- Especially useful for people with dyslexia, allowing more time to focus on the content of written work without worrying about spelling
Supported operating systems: Available via Windows on College PCs.
Global autocorrect immediately corrects spelling mistakes while you type with no need to stop. It works wherever you are typing e.g. Word, email, Facebook etc.
Global AutoCorrect is available to download from the Software Hub.
Supported operating systems: Windows
Dictation accurately transcribes your speech to text in real-time. You can add paragraphs, punctuation marks and even smileys using voice commands.
Dictation.io is available for download from the Software Hub.
MyScript Math Sample
MyScript Math Sample is a useful add-on for Microsoft Word which allows the user to hand write equations and convert them to digital text or LaTeX.
It is available as a Microsoft App.
PhotoMath iOS is a versatile app available for iPhone, iPad and Android. The user can scan a maths problem in text or handwriting, and it will display the outcome and the method it used, in easy definable steps.
Having the steps explained helps users to become familiar with the procedures of solving mathematical equations.
STEMReader enables read back of mathematical equations using text to speech. It breaks down equations into simple chunks to make them easier to understand and checks the understanding of unknown notations.
EquatIO helps the user to write mathematical formulae by hand, type or speech recognition. It is then possible to edit and interact with the formulae in Microsoft Word or Google Docs.
- easy to navigate toolbar sits at the bottom of the screen
- equation editor pops up horizontally above the toolbar
- LaTeX editor allows the user to transcribe Mathematical expressions into LaTex
- insert maths operators, symbols, functions and Greek letters
- input mathematical expressions through handwriting e.g. using a tablet or touch screen laptop
EquatIO is available via the Software Hub.