Contact us

For general enquiries relating to overseas working, or to submit a new request, please contact the International Mobility Team at

Access further guidance on overseas working

The International Mobility Team (IMT) is responsible for the review and management of overseas working requests for all members of Imperial College London. The core function of the IMT is to facilitate legally compliant overseas working arrangements. 

Imperial is a UK-based university with a global outlook. However, working overseas can carry significant financial, legal, regulatory and safety risks for individuals as well as the College. The IMT is committed to supporting Imperial employees working overseas, while minimising the associated risks, ensuring compliance with local laws and jurisdictions, and upholding Imperial’s duty of care to overseas staff.   

What is overseas working? 

Overseas working is defined as a period of time working outside of the UK that does not meet the criteria for business travel in the destination region.  

For context and guidance, you can view the list of permissible business activities for short-term business travellers coming to the UK (please note that activities vary per country and adequate research must be undertaken).  If you are uncertain as to whether your trip would be classified as business travel or overseas working, please contact the team at 

Overseas working requests may fall under the category of :  

  1. An Imperial College business requirement   
  2. A personal requirement i.e. extenuating circumstances 

While the IMT manages the legal and regulatory aspects of overseas working, the team is not responsible for overseeing related financial or health and safety administration (e.g. expenses, travel insurance, risk assessments). When planning a trip, you must also refer to the College’s Staff Travel, Safety (off-site working) and Occupational Health webpages for details of additional documentation that may be required and other key information. 

Submitting a new overseas working request 

Managers should review and consider the College’s overseas working guidance in the first instance.  

Following this, managers should download and complete the Overseas Working Request Form and obtain sign-off from their Head of Department, before submitting it to the IMT for approval at

Permission to work overseas must be requested in advance. Fully completed requests will be reviewed on a regular basis and confirmed with the College’s final decision. 

Managing existing overseas working arrangements 

If you have questions about managing an existing or historical overseas working arrangement, please contact the IMT via email at for further advice and support.