Join Able today
We are re-launching Able using Teams on Office 365 to facilitate conversations and easy collaboration between members.
To join the Able network please complete this online form (you may need to log in with your Imperial username and password).
Disability History Month 2019
Disability History Month runs from 22 November - 22 December every year. Find out more about the events that are happening this year at Imperial.
Able is Imperial's staff network for disability and disability supporters. The network works for and with disabled staff to provide support and assistance around the workplace. We provide a place to contact others and have a dialogue with each other and in support of each other.
Able works on the following themes:
A - Awareness of disability at work / Able to work/ Ability Focus
B - Benefit of Able Networking in raising the profile/ providing guidance and support to staff and managers
L - Listen and share experience of disability issues with the aim of helping to remove barriers
E - Encourage and increase the declaration of disability
Able@Imperial is open to all disabled staff, staff who support disabled dependents, and staff who have an interest in disability in the workplace; Able@Imperial Terms of Reference (pdf).
The aims of Able@Imperial are to:
- promote a positive culture around disability
- promote and develop a trusting environment where disability is declared in the workplace
- act as a consultation forum in development for new and existing policies and procedures
- discuss issues relating to disability in the workplace in a safe environment
- set the priorities for internal campaigning around disability
- aid the College to meet its equality objectives relating to disability
- communicate the work on disability College-wide
- help formulate College initiatives to encourage greater representation of disabled staff in all aspects of College life
- provide networking opportunities for personal and professional development
How to join Able
If you would like to sign up to the network, please fill in this form to join us on Teams in Office 365 (you may need to log in with your Imperial username and password).
We are looking for people who have an interest in disability and who are keen to play a part in driving forward cultural change at the College. This is an opportunity to develop and explore different skills, and to meet and network with people outside of your day-to-day role. As part of the committee you will get to be involved with a wide range of activities, from creating events for the network and the College community to getting involved in feeding back on new policy and procedures relating to disability. The time commitment varies but averages around an hour a week.
- Lisa Philips, Co-Chair
- Adrian Mannall, Co-Chair