Introduction to the Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT) Sector
Imperial College Business School Careers has a sector offering covering Technology, Media, and Telecommunications in response to the market’s huge demand for dynamic candidates in this space and our students wanting to apply!
I am a Careers Consultant focusing on this area in conjunction with Sodrul Hussain who manages the Business School’s relationship with TMT employers. Sodrul gains exposure for students and connects them to the opportunities available and provides insight into the world of Tech through university, employer and student led events. I support students to navigate, research, apply and prepare to enter this fast-moving market.
Together we regularly convey the message that ‘You do not need to be technical, to work in tech!’ Technology crosses into many predominant industries, think Fin-Tech, Ed-Tech, Med-Tech etc and therefore we see students applying to a large scope of roles! You could work in a non-technical role within a tech sector, i.e. Marketing at Google, Operations at Amazon, or Business Development for a start-up. Equally, tech roles within a non tech business are just as common and impressive candidates are in strong demand – think Data Analyst at Unilever for example.
At this point in your journey, some questions to ask yourself are
- Who am I targeting? Consider Start-ups, SMEs, Large Organizations, Tech Giants
- Am I technical or non-technical and if so, where are my skills and knowledge gaps that I need to address for the job role or function I want to secure?
- Am I looking for an internship, an experienced / direct hire role or is a structured program more for me? Am I considering all options?
- What do I know and more importantly, what don’t I know about my target companies? Think big picture, down to product level. Am I commercially aware?
- Am I aware of recruitment deadlines and processes where relevant?
- Who do I know in the sector? How can my network (consider Alumni now too!) help me and what do I want to learn from some informational interviewing and research over the next few months? Which tech events can I attend?
Knowledge is power and in tech, your genuine motivation, energy, and commitment to the sector is hugely important. It must be authentic. TechRepublic, Wired, Computer Weekly, The Economist, MCA, ZDNet, and the FT are all fabulous resources to help you build your confidence and credibility in preparation for applications and interviews. Our students also run a TMT Club which is definitely something to be a part of if you are steering your career in this direction – it connects you industry experts, events and alumni that you may otherwise not know about. Check out more information here
Typically, recruitment within this sector is vacancy driven and structured programs can be harder to find. This reflects the fastmoving, reactive and dynamic nature of this world. Options are endless within TMT, but at all levels this is a competitive sector and the preparation and research on your part has a paramount influence on your success. We can’t wait to work with you on this!
Chloe Chambers, Career Consultant TMT Sector Lead