Frequently Asked Questions about becoming an Imperial College Business School Alumnus
Keeping in touch
Student accounts usually remain active for up to one year after the end date of your course, although this does not include using Microsoft Office 365 applications but does include Blackboard Learn and lecture recordings.
You will receive an email from ICT to confirm the expiry date of your student account. At this time, you are welcome to create an alumni mailbox. If you would like to forward emails from your student email mailbox to your alumni mailbox, please follow the Forwarding, redirecting and importing for alumni instructions.
Please note: Once forwarding is set up, you will no longer be able to access your Imperial College account. This means that you will not have access to online library resources, nor will be you able to access any emails stored in your Imperial College email box. Therefore please ensure any emails in your Imperial College email box have been archived and relevant documents saved elsewhere. Once your student account expires after one year, the forwarding will also expire.
After the year cut off ICT can send you a copy of your emails in a pst file format, you will need to call them to confirm your security questions. They can be contacted on +44 (0)20 7594 9000.
- You can register for a free online alumni account through Plexus – our online platform for alumni where you can connect with alumni across the whole Imperial community.
- We run a series of social events and professional development opportunities throughout the year for all alumni of the Business School. We also have a strong and active international community which arranges events for alumni across the globe.
- Please make sure we have your correct contact details so that we can send you relevant information about events and news from alumni and the School. You can update you contact details here.
- You can also keep in touch with fellow alums on our social networking groups:
- – Join our LinkedIn group: Imperial College Business School Alumni Network, as well as our sector networking groups
- – Like us on Facebook: Imperial College Business School Alumni Network
- – Follow us on Twitter: @ImpBizAlumni
- If you become an entrepreneur or run your own business, you are encouraged to take advantage of the advertising and business development opportunity of our Alumni Business Directory
- Please do update us on your news – the School loves to hear from you!
- You will receive bi-monthly e-bulletins from the Business School which include alumni news and School events and services. We also produce an annual Business School magazine.
- As an Imperial alum you will also receive monthly e-bulletins from Imperial College and the twice yearly Imperial College alumni magazine. Keep your details up-to-date as we often base communications based on your location. You can also attend alumni and Business School events, and feel free to come up and visit us at the Business School if you are back on campus.
If you complete this form we can set up your Imperial email address for you. Please note you can only apply for an Alumni email address after you have graduated and your student record has transitioned onto the Alumni database.
- Your Business School student ID and access card will be de-activated on the expiry date printed on the card. After this time we invite you to use the Alumni Visitor Centre (AVC). This is located next to the Business School entrance on the ground floor. Alumni do not require a card to access most of the facilities on offer to them such as the AVC or the Library. You can also access the ground floor College Café during opening hours.
- If you require access to another area of the Business School please contact us for more information.
- Please ensure that you start to save any teaching documents on Imperial’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) as soon as possible as teaching material access will be withdrawn shortly after your programme finishes. Please note that your print credits will have expired when your programme finished so you will no longer have access to them.
Yes, our library facilities are open to alumni.
However please note due to the limited number of spaces at the Central Library during the pandemic, a queuing system is in place when the building is very busy. More information can be found on the Library website.
- To use the library at the South Kensington campus, you need to apply online for alumni library membership. Select the Imperial College Alumni option from the drop-down menu and complete the application form. After completing the form, please bring your interactive alumni services account login with you to your chosen library, where you will be asked show one of the required forms of Identification, including proof of address.
- Alumni can borrow up to five items from the Central Library, and have walk-in access to a limited number of online resources, check with the library in advance to confirm which ones are available to you. Use of these resources is strictly for non-commercial purposes. Please be advised that once you are no longer a current student of the College you are not entitled to access most of the Library’s electronic resources, such as ft.com (Financial Times subscription) and EBSCO Business Source Ultimate.
- See Imperial College Library webpages for more details of alumni access.
- Imperial College London alumni may have free access to RefWorks for as long as the Library maintains a subscription to this service. To maintain access to any references you have saved to your RefWorks accounts whilst at College you must transfer your account to an alumni account before your College username and password expire.
As part of the RefWorks Alumni Programme, you are entitled to:
- One free RefWorks account
- New updates and feature releases
- 200 MB of file attachment storage
- The ability to share your folder or account via RefShare
- Free web-based training
- Technical Support
Bloomberg are very strict with their guidelines of what you can and can't do with their products. The use of Bloomberg terminals is only for students and it is not possible for alumni to access them.
Free wi-fi is available throughout the College via The Cloud. Connect to The Cloud by searching for wi-fi networks on your device, connecting to the '_The Cloud' network and following the instructions that show on screen.
For more information, visit The Cloud website.
- The Careers Service is available to Business School alumni for one-to-one careers consultations, CV advice, mock interviews and to provide insights into companies and industry sectors.
- For more information contact the Careers Team on: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)20 7594 9200.
You can also visit the career resource room to access online career resources at the Business School. This is now situated in the library. At any stage of your career you can continue to ensure that you are keeping on track through the following professional development opportunities:
- Join current students on electives – recent graduates benefit from reduced rates
- Sign up for our Executive Education programme
- Attend professional development lectures, professional interest network events, webinars and workshops.
Information about these events is promoted to alumni through the monthly e-newsletter from the Alumni Relations Office and social media channels.
Alumni make an outstanding contribution to the School, helping us to attract the right students, enrich student experience and employability, and contribute to building a powerful alumni network. Some ways that you can contribute include:
- For general information about graduation you can email the team direct on email@example.com.
- If you are not able to attend the year you complete, you are allowed to defer graduation to the following year.
- For copies of your transcript (document listing courses taken and marks obtained) and/or letter confirming the award of your degree, please fill in this online form or call +44 (0)207 594 7268 for more information.