FoNS Learning and Teaching Development Programme
Workshop 2 - Lecturing Skills
- 1st November 2023 13:00-17:00 (Cancelled)
- 13th December 2023 13:00-17:00
- 6th March 2024 13:00-17:00
- 1st May 2024 13:00-17:00
Workshop 4 – Designing for Learning
- 13th December 2023 14:00-16:00 (Cancelled)
- 17th April 2024 13:00-15:00 (Full)
- 17th April 2024 15:00-17:00 (Full)
- 29th May 2024 13:00-15:00 (Full)
- 29th May 2024 15:00-17:00
To book a place, please email the LTDP Coordinator
The FoNS Learning and Teaching Development Programme (LTDP) constitutes the training for all new lecturing staff within the Faculty of Natural Sciences and must be completed as a prerequisite for both probation and promotion - unless the member of staff is registered to complete the PG Cert in University Learning and Teaching via the EDU.
It is expected that the LTDP will normally be completed within 1-2 years of appointment and must be finished within the period of probation.
The starting point for the programme is a meeting with the appropriate Director of Undergradute Studies, or equivalent, (which constitutes FoNS Workshop 1 - see Compulsory FoNS Workshops section below) who will assign an Academic Mentor (a senior member of the Department) and a Teaching Buddy (for example, someone who has recently completed LTDP or PG Cert ULT). These individuals assess the teaching observations. The DUGS will also talk through and approve any exemptions, discuss options around the elective elements of the programme of workshops listed below, explain how to register for them and agree a timeline for the programme. They will complete and approve the FoNS LTDP Exemption Form - November 2023, which must then be sent to the LTDP Coordinator.
If you wish to complete the Learning and Teaching Development Refresher Programme, you can find more information and book yourself onto the programme via the webpage.
Compulsory FoNS Workshops
You must complete these workshops in order:
1. FoNS LTDP Workshop 1 - Departmental Teaching Practices
Arrange with your Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUGS), or equivalent. For more information - FoNS LTDP Workshop 1 - Departmental Teaching Practices (PDF)
2. FoNS LTDP Workshop 2 - Lecturing Skills
Workshop with member of staff in the Faculty. For more information - FoNS LTDP Workshop 2 - Lecturing Skills (PDF)
3. FoNS LTDP Workshop 3 - Learning Technologies for Teaching
Completed online - you will be contacted about this after workshop 2. For more information - FoNS LTDP Workshop 3 Summary - September 2023
4. FoNS LTDP Workshop 4 - Designing for Learning
Workshop with FoNS Vice-Dean (Education). For more information - FoNS LTDP Workshop 4 - Designing for Learning (PDF)
To book Workshops 2 or 4, please email the LTDP Coordinator.
Compulsory EDU workshops
You must complete 3 compulsory workshops delivered by the Educational Development Unit (EDU).
- Introduction to Teaching for Learning
- Introduction to Supervising PhD Students (for those who commenced the programme prior to April 2022)
- Fundamentals of Supervising PhD Students (for those commencing the programme from April 2022. From April 2022, new doctoral supervisors at Imperial are required to complete this course, therefore this cannot be exempted unless already completed or in cases where no doctoral supervision would be expected (for which confirmation would need to be provided))
- Introduction to Personal Tutoring
We also strongly recommend that participants complete the following EDU workshop, in preparation for the final element of the LTDP - the HEA Application:
See also the EDU's advice for New Lecturers.
Elective EDU workshops
You must complete at least 3 Elective Workshops delivered by the EDU.
Please note that not all EDU Workshops are acceptable for the LTDP. Workshops selected must relate directly to your teaching practice. If in doubt, please contact the LTDP Coordinator.
Once completed, please email details of your elective workshops to the LTDP Coordinator.
Three observed teaching sessions should be monitored by the Academic Mentor and the Teaching Buddy.
The Observation Form can be downloaded here: FoNS LTDP Teaching Observation Form (.doc)
Advance HE Fellowship Recognition
The final component of the LTDP is the completion of the Advance HE Fellowship Recognition application (at the level of Fellow), information on which can be found on the EDU webpages here.
You are strongly advised to attend a STAR Pre-submission Workshop. This will help you to assess whether your application is ready to be submitted for review.
Once finalised, the application form should be submitted via the Imperial STAR Framework webpage.
To complete the LTDP requirements:
For those who commenced the LTDP prior to 01 September 2023, you will need to send a copy of the application and the submission confirmation email from STAR to the LTDP Administrator for your LTDP records.
For those who commenced the LTDP after 01 September 2023, you will need to send a copy of the application plus confirmation of the award of fellowship to the LTDP Administrator for your LTDP records.