Venture capital has become an attractive asset class, offering diversification and opportunity to many investors and entrepreneurs. Since 1990, more than 500 European tech companies have crossed the $1 billion milestone, with over 10% of these "unicorns" established in H1 2022. Venture Capital Finance: Master Startup Funding and Investment Strategies will immerse you in venture capital, building confidence in the language, processes, performance metrics, and strategies involved in the entire dealmaking process. The programme gives the perspectives of both investor and investee, yielding a comprehensive view of the entire VC landscape.
The seven week online programme draws on expertise from Imperial College Business School faculty, industry experts and case studies. You will also draw on the expertise of your peers.
You will experience live online teaching sessions, video lectures, interactive activities and assignments whilst receiving personal support from a dedicated Learning Team.
You will finish the programme prepared to implement your learnings, and with a verified Digital Certificate from Imperial College Business School Executive Education.
Who should attend?
This international programme is designed for professionals on either side of a venture capital transaction- both investors, and those seeking early-stage investment capital. The programme will be most relevant for those with some financial market experience, particularly those at early- to mid-career level, and is particularly relevant for the following roles:
- Venture capital professionals, including angel investors, high net worth individuals, and family offices seeking to formalise their knowledge and understanding of the VC investing market to make better decisions and maximise ROI;
- Finance professionals, such as portfolio managers, pension/ mutual fund managers, traders, risk and strategy planners seeking to expand their practice into venture capital markets to grow, diversify, and innovate;
- Entrepreneurs, founders, and senior management of startups and early-growth companies seeking an understanding and practical toolkit for pitching and securing funding (and possibly domain expertise) for their venture
The programme delves into a variety of topics that cover the entire dealmaking process, from both sides of the investment, giving you the ability to:
- Develop fluency with key venture capital concepts and vocabulary.
- Navigate the stages of the VC transaction process from both investor and investee perspectives, including fundraising, fund setup, negotiation, portfolio management and exit strategy.
- Examine the key players and roles in the VC ecosystem.
- Apply the principles of the programme to produce a compelling pitch deck that checks all the right boxes.
Module 1: The Venture Capital Landscape
Module 2: Fund Set-Up and Identifying Investment Opportunities
Module 3: Startup Valuation
Module 4: Deal Structure, Terms, and Negotiation
Module 5: Value Creation: Portfolio Management and Exit Strategies
Module 6: Future of Venture Capital in Developed and Developing Markets
Programme Faculty and Experts
Marc Kitten is a founding partner at Candesic Strategy Consultants in London. He has 25 years of experience of transactions and financial markets. He advises corporations and financial investors in the areas of corporate strategy and corporate finance. He serves on the boards of several fast-growing companies. Prior to co-founding Candesic, he was a consultant at McKinsey & Co. In London and a Vice-President at Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt.
He is also a visiting professor in finance and strategy with 20 years of teaching experience at Imperial College London and other Business Schools in Europe, Asia and the US. He lectures both graduates and executives in most aspects of corporate finance and strategy. He is the author of the 2009 Vault Guide to Careers in Private Equity in Europe and has published several case studies.
Marc holds an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, completed the Young Managers Programme at INSEAD and graduated from EDHEC Business School in Finance.
Become an Associate Alumni
Take your partnership with Imperial College Business School to the next level by becoming an Associate Alumni. Complete one (1) of our on-campus, online, and virtual programmes to claim 'Associate Alumni' status and join our active alumni community.