Resources and support for staff
A range of staff across our departments are involved in providing student support. We want to ensure that they have access to the resources and training they need to support our students effectively.
Faculty-based training and resources
- FoNS Personal Tutor Training: each academic year, the Faculty Senior Tutor offers refresher training for all personal tutors across the Faculty
- Personal Tutors Guide Sept 2023- this short guide is a useful tool for all staff, and signposts key sources of support
- Positive Communication for Student-Facing Staff: in 2018, the Faculty introduced training for all student-facing staff on communicating positively in a university context, to find out more email Rebecca Middleton, the Faculty Education Manager.
- Please complete this Training Request Form if you'd like to request a training session to be facilitated or organised by the Student Wellbeing Advice Team. The form can be used to make requests for wellbeing-related training for both students and staff. If the team feel that they cannot address the training need directly, they may be able to suggest alternative sources of training/ training providers.
Other training opportunities and resources
The following training opportunities and resources are available to staff in roles supporting students:
- Senior Tutors: a summary of the role of a Senior Tutor (UG and PGT) is available
- Personal Tutors Health and Wellbeing Guide: the College has developed a Personal Tutors’ guide, which includes useful advice on supporting student health and wellbeing
- College-wide Personal Tutor training: the Educational Development Unit (EDU) runs a one-day workshop for staff who are (or will soon be personal tutors). Register for training
- Mental Health First Aid half-day and two-day training is available to all staff
- Unconscious Bias training
- Mindful Learning and Resilience Skills Training- training can be arranged for groups of students
This section will be updated with new training opportunities and resources as they become available. If you have an idea or request for specific training opportunities or online resources, please contact Rebecca Middleton, the Faculty Education Manager.
Be An Active Bystander
Active Bystander Training aims to empower staff across our College community to challenge poor behaviours and bring about cultural change. Active Bystanders reinforce messages defining the boundaries of unacceptable behaviour
Where to go for further support
The Faculty Senior Tutor for Natural Sciences, Ingo Mueller-Wodarg, is available for additional support and guidance, particularly in relation to more sensitive or complicated academic and personal student matters. Find further information and contact details here.
There are also a range of services across the College available to support students most in need and requiring immediate and/or ongoing specialist support. Please refer to the College Support page for further details.
College policies and procedures
Key College policies and procedures are available on the Registry Academic Governance webpages, including:
Your own health and wellbeing
There are various College resources available to support staff in supporting their own health and wellbeing. Click on the following links to find out more: