Health and safety
Whist using College premises, you must take reasonable care for your own and others' safety by adopting safe practices and making proper use of the safety facilities provided.
Health and Safety in halls of residence
All College owned portable appliances are tested annually and all wiring is tested every five years. You must not interfere with any electrical installation equipment or fitting provided by the College.
The electricity supply in the UK is 240 volts a.c. at a frequency of 50Hz. Electrical sockets in the UK are the 13 amp rectangular pin type and the plugs fitted to portable appliances are generally supplied with a 13 amp fuse. The fuse should be selected to suit the load of the equipment being used. All personal electrical equipment including plugs and adaptors must conform to the appropriate British standard with a CE mark. The number of sockets in your room/kitchen should be adequate. Do not overload your electrical sockets as this can be very dangerous and result in a fire. Multi-plug adaptors must not be used. If an extension socket is used, it must be safe (preferably with 'surge protection') and it must not cause a trip hazard to you or any member of staff entering your room. Shuko plugs are not permitted.
You may bring some electrical equipment in to halls but you must ensure that it is working correctly so that it does not present a hazard. If you have any items that are not compatible with UK voltage (240V) you must buy a voltage adaptor or a converter. All items (including adaptors/converters) must conform to the appropriate British standard, display the CE mark and be fitted with a correctly wired and fused plug. Failing to do this can trip the fuses serving your room/kitchen, resulting in the loss of power supply to you and your neighbours.
Electrical equipment should be switched off after use and unplugged whenever you leave the room.
The College reserves the right to remove, destroy or disable any equipment which it deems unsafe. Wherever possible, this will be discussed with you before any action is taken.
- Never leave cooking pans, toasters, kettles etc. unattended as this is one of the major causes of fire alarms - Cookers, stoves and appliances should be switched off when you have finished cooking. Chip pans and other deep frying utensils must not be used.
- Follow the appliance instructions which are available in your kitchen or Hall
- Clean up any spillages at the time to prevent any slip hazards
- Help to reduce the risk of unwanted pests – clean up after yourself and use the bins provided for any waste
Although you are living in a hall of residence, you are free to come and go as you please but for your own safety and protection, please let someone know when you are going away overnight or for a longer period. This can be your hall warden, staff or a friend. Should you become concerned about the absence of a neighbour, please let the Student Hub and the hall warden know as soon as possible.
In order to comply with Health and Safety regulations and to improve security, all windows have been fitted with window restrictors. Please close windows when you’re not occupying your room, particularly if you live in a ground floor room.
Regular inspections will be conducted and if any window restrictors are found to have been damaged or tampered with, repair charges will be brought against the individual (or individuals) involved.