Being an assistant supervisor
Introduction to being an assistant supervisor
Dates for 2022-23
- Wednesday 18 January 10.00-13.00 (in person)
- Thursday 25 May 10.00-13.00 (in person)
The Graduate School offers an online version of the workshop, view description and book a place.
Tutors (two per session)
- Professor Martyn Kingsbury
- Dr Rob Davies
- Dr Andrew Horsfield
- Professor Jenny Nelson
Who should attend?
This workshop is aimed at postdocs or others who formally or informally assist with PhD supervision and want to work towards the 'Assistant Supervisor' title. There is also an online version of this face-to-face workshop available via the Graduate School website. There is no need to complete both the in-person and online version of this workshop - if you have completed the online version of this workshop there is a high degree of overlap with this in-person version.
If you are involved in PhD supervision and are unsure about which training you require, please see this page on continuing professional development for supervisors and discuss your role with your Head of Department/Director of Postgraduate Studies.
- Provide you with an understanding of the research degree milestones at Imperial College London
- Highlight some of the most common pressures and issues faced by students at this institution and how you might respond to these
- Provide you with best practice guidance on how to deal with particular challenges
- Share with you links and information on where to seek further support and guidance, if required