Facts and figures
The Faculty of Medicine - our size and shape
The statistics for the Faculty of Medicine activity presented here are drawn from the College pocket statistics guide (Imperial College London Statistics Guide 2021-22)*.
- Numbers have been rounded as appropriate.
- MRes students are counted as research students.
Faculty of Medicine size and shape
Student : staff ratios
Full-time equivalent staff numbers and student : staff ratios (2021-22)
|Academic staff||Research staff||Support staff||Student FTE||Student : staff ratio|
UG applications and admissions
Applications and admissions - Undergraduate Medicine (2021-22)
|Home/EU applications received for 2021-22 entry||Overseas applications received for 2021/22 entry||New admissions 2021-22||Applications : admissions ratio for 2021-22 entry|
|2,919||2,464||516||10.4 : 1|
PG applications and admissions
Applications and admissions - Postgraduate Medicine (2021-22)
|Applications received for 2021-22 entry (taught)||Applications received for 2021-22 entry (research)||New admissions 2021-22 (taught)||New admissions 2021-22 (research)||Applications : admissions ratio for 2021-22 entry|
|3,314||1,568||915||367||3.8 : 1|
UG degrees awarded
Undergraduate degrees awarded (2021)
|First||2.1||Total||Percentage of first / 2.1|
|Medicine - MBBS||n/a||n/a||309||n/a|
|School of Medicine||331||125||457||99.8%|
|Total includes all degree classifications. Total does not include awards made to occasional students. 2 The Intercalated students whose Intercalated year was in a department outside of Medicine have been included in the home department – Bioengineering and Business School|
Academic expenditure (2020-21)
|General funds (staff, in £k)||General funds (other, in £k)||Research grants and contracts (staff, in £k)||Research grants and contracts (other, in £k)|
|Faculty of Medicine||105,440||34,139||88,220||53,337|
Research grants and contracts
Research grants and contracts income (2020-21)
|Faculty of Medicine (All figures in £k)|
|UK gov., including health authorities||43,439|
|EU and overseas industry||9,192|
|EU government bodies||8,137|
|Note - 'EU government bodies' category includes the European Commission.|
The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings - Subject rankings 2023
- The Times Higher Education World University Rankings judge world-class universities across all of their core missions - teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. The Clinical and Health subject ranking table highlights the universities that are leading medicine, dentistry and health subjects.
- Imperial College was ranked joint 4th in the world for Clinical and Health for 2023.
The Complete University Guide - University Subject Tables 2023
- The Complete University Guide University Subject Table for Medicine ranks UK universities by entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and graduate prospects.
- Imperial College was ranked 6th in the UK for Medicine by the Complete University Guide in 2023. (The Complete University Guide Rankings table for 2023 was updated in July 2022)
More about our rankings - further information about the Faculty of Medicine and other College rankings is available in the College League tables pages.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
The College submitted to the following medicine-related Units of Assessment within Main Panel A in REF 2021:
- Unit of Assessment 1 - Clinical Medicine
- Unit of Assessment 2 - Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care
- Unit of Assessment 4 - Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience
Overall quality profile (percentage of research activity at each quality level)
|UoA||4*||3*||2*||1*||u/c||Cat A FTE|
|1 - Clinical Medicine||60||34||6||0||0||438.9|
|2 - Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care||78||21||1||0||0||79.5|
|4 - Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience||75||24||1||0||0||34.9|
Data reproduced from full table of Imperial's overall scores by UoA on the College REF 2021 webpages.
For more information on the College's performance in REF2021, visit the College's Research Excellence Framework web pages.