Dean’s Internship Awards
The Dean’s Internship Awards scheme supports all Faculty of Medicine PhD students in gaining experience and insight across different sectors and in building valuable networks, by funding a wide range of research and training activities. Examples of how the awards have been used are available on the awardee profiles page.
|Description and guidance
|Internships and placements
|High cost training
Applications to support training in research areas of strategic need.
|Exceptional training opportunities
Applications to support training such as overseas fieldwork, complementary and beneficial placement, or training in new advanced research skills.
Applications for training with industry or at the interdisciplinary interface.
|PhD to postdoctoral transition
Applications for costs related to open access publication, or laboratory visits aimed at obtaining postdoctoral positions.
How to Apply, Eligibility, T&C, FAQs
How to apply
Please apply at least 6 weeks prior to when the funds are required. Your department may ask for additional information after receiving your application, and will require successful applicants to provide a brief report after the training or internship. All correspondence about the application and award is to be directed to the named contact person listed on this webpage below.
Department of Surgery and Cancer
Please apply via the Surgery and Cancer online application form
For any queries, please contact:
Jennifer Simeon, Senior Postgraduate Education Administrator
Alison Cambrey, Education Manager
Departments of: Brain Sciences | Infectious Disease | Immunology and Inflammation | Metabolism, Digestion & Reproduction
Please apply via the online application form.
Please notify Casper Debieux, Research Degrees Administrator, by email, once you have made an application. Any queries should also be directed to Casper.
School of Public Health
Please apply via the School of Public Health online application form. Please notify Rahma Ally, PhD Administrator, by email, once you have made an application. Any queries should also be directed to Rahma.
Institute of Clinical Sciences / MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences
Please contact Enrique Martinez-Perez, Director of Postgraduate Studies, indicating that you wish to apply, and he will send you further instructions.
Eligibility and Terms & Conditions
This scheme is open to all Faculty of Medicine PhD students except MRC-funded who should apply to the MRC Supplement Scheme.
Terms and Conditions
- Students can apply more than once, up to a maximum total of £5,500 per student, over the duration of their PhD studies. The final award amount may vary in value according to the development opportunity, and may be made in full, or as a contribution towards the costs of the development opportunity.
- Applications are to be made a minimum 6 weeks prior to commencing an internship, placement or training, and will be made available once interruption of studies has been obtained.
- Your application will be reviewed by an academic panel, as part of the application and awarding process within your department.
- By accepting the award, you agree to complete an online survey detailing your experience of the internship or placement. Information from your survey will be used, where required, to promote the scheme, e.g for online student profiles.
- Students who are funded by another funding scheme that includes supplementary funding for internships, placements and training, are not eligible to apply for funding under the Dean’s Internship Awards.
What happens after I submit my application?
Your Department may ask for additional information after receiving your application. Application outcomes are typically sent within three weeks after you submit your application.
How will a decision be made, and when will I hear back?
Your application will be assessed by an academic panel within your department. Application outcomes are typically sent within three weeks after you submit your application.
Can I apply more than once?
There is no limit on the number of applications. However, currently the scheme will allow a maximum award of £5,500 per student.
What is the maximum funding I can apply for?
The maximum funding is £5,500 per student, over the duration of their PhD studies. The final award amount may vary in value according to the development opportunity, and may be made in full, or as a contribution towards the costs of the development opportunity.
For an Internship or Placement application, how do I apply for Interruption of Studies?
This scheme is intended to provide stipend support, for the purposes of Internships and Placements, of no more than 3 months in duration. Ideally this is best suited, but not limited, to students who are within writing-up status but prior to submission. Students who want to take an internship or placement are advised to apply for an Interruption of Studies (IOS).