Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
Full tuition fees and stipend plus allowances and economy airfare
Number of awards
Mode of study
Available to applicants in the following departments
- Chemical Engineering
Eligibility criteriaTo apply for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Have submitted an application to study on one of the following three eligible courses as soon as the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship competition opens (competition is due to open on 3 November 2022). Important: In order to be eligible for this award, applicants must also hold an offer of admission by the time nominations to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) take place. Nominations will take place early 2023.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK, or remotely if required, by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2023
- By September 2023, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a second-class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree).
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high-income country
- Be unable to afford to study at a UK university without this scholarship
- Commit to return to their home country within one month of the end date of their scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
Applicants who are nominated for this scholarship will be required to have met College English entry requirements (Pre-sessional English courses are not supported by this programme) by 30 June 2023. If you have not met the English entry requirements yet, please make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible.
For information on the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships programme, please refer to the Commonwealth Scholarships website.
Course specific information
- MSc Advanced Materials Science and Engineering (Department of Materials)
- MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering (Department of Chemical Engineering)
- MSc Computing (Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning) - (Department of Computing)
Application processIn order to apply for this scholarship, you must follow two steps:
- Step 1: Apply for one of the 3 eligible courses at Imperial College London. Applicants must submit a complete application through the standard application process as soon as the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship competition opens.
If you’re applying for a postgraduate course at Imperial, you may need to pay an application fee. For information on application fees and to check if you're eligible for an application fee waiver, please go here
- Step 2: Apply for the scholarship: You should apply directly through the Commonwealth Scholarships website
Additional informationOutcome of awards:
The Student Financial Support team at Imperial College London will notify nominated candidates (award holders and reserve candidates) by 3 April 2023 at the latest. The CSC will then confirm that these candidates meet the eligibility criteria for this programme. Universities will inform candidates of their results by July 2023. If you have not heard from us by 3 April, you should assume your scholarship application has been unsuccessful.
Number of awards:
Imperial College London has been offered 3 awards for the 2023/24 academic year.
How much is it worth?
This scholarship is jointly funded by the CSC and Imperial College London.
Each scholarship provides:
- Approved economy airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award
- Approved tuition fees
- A stipend (living allowance)
- Warm clothing allowance
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- Excess baggage allowance, up to an annual approved limit, when returning home
- Reimbursement of the cost of a mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test at a pre-determined amount set by the CSC where required for a visa application (receipts must be supplied)
- Disability Support Allowance for personal living costs (if eligible)
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, a child allowance
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.