The Postgraduate Master's Loan from the UK government is designed to support students who normally live in England while they are studying a full, standalone Master’s course, worth at least 180 credits.

Your course can be taught or research-based though students studying a postgraduate certificate or diploma will not be eligible for a Postgraduate Master’s Loan.

The loan is to contribute towards the cost of your postgraduate study, and you can choose whether you put this towards your tuition fees or living costs. See an estimate of costs for living in London as an Imperial student.

Funding for postgraduate loans is different if:

Loan amount

The maximum value of the loan is £12,471 for courses starting on or after 1 August 2024.

This loan is not means tested so the amount you’ll get is not based on your household income or your family’s.

You may also be eligible for extra grants or allowances, such as the Disabled Students Allowance.

Back to top of page

How to apply

Students who normally live in England should apply via Student Finance England.

If you’ve taken out a loan with Student Finance England before, use your account to apply.

If you do not already have one, set up an account.

You will only need to apply once, even if your Master’s course is longer than one year.

Back to top of page

Check if you're eligible

Whether you qualify for a Postgraduate Master's Loan depends on:

  • your course
  • your age
  • your nationality or residency status

Explore the full list of who qualifies on Gov.uk.

Back to top of page

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals starting courses on or after 1 August 2021 must have settled or pre-settled status in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme to be able to apply for this type of financial support.

Visit the EU Settlement Scheme information guide for more information.

This does not apply to students who are Irish citizens living in the UK or Ireland, who are automatically treated as settled in the UK and do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to benefit from the right to UK student finance.

For full information on the nationality or residency status requirement for this type of financial support, please see the Gov.uk website.

Back to top of page

When you'll get paid

You get the first payment after you register at Imperial and after your course starts.

The loan will be paid directly to you in three instalments each year.

Back to top of page

Repaying your loan

You have to repay your loan, but only once you:

  • have left university
  • are in employment
  • are earning over a certain amount

Find out more about repaying your loans.

Back to top of page