About the scheme

If you work in a public research institution, industrial research laboratory or at another university then you may be able to register for a PhD at Imperial but carry out the research where you work, under the PRI scheme.

You will still need to spend at least two months of each year at Imperial, but the rest of the time can be spent at your other institution.

How to apply

If you wish to apply to be registered under this scheme you should first discuss this with your local supervisor and your Imperial supervisor. 

Once a research project has been agreed, you can make a formal application to Imperial online through My Imperial in the usual way.

Once your department of interest has received your application, they will organise for the PRI/A Form to be completed and submitted for appropriate checks and consideration by the Director of the Graduate School. 

If the department accepts your registration as a PRI student we will make you a conditional offer which reflect this.

More information


For further information see: