How to apply

Find out how to apply for a student loan. The School Code for Imperial College London is G11567.


Federal Direct Loans, financed by the U.S. Department of Education, are available to U.S students to help with the cost of their studies at Imperial.

There are different kinds of loans available depending on whether you are interested in undergraduate or postgraduate study. Explore the options below.

As well as federal loans you may also wish to explore a private loan, such as that offered by Sallie Mae.

Unfortunately, students studying at an overseas university like Imperial College London are not eligible for need-based grants such as the Pell Grant.

If you have any questions about US loan options, please contact Imperial's Financial Suport team for further guidance and support:

You can read the full details about US Loans, including information on the Cares Act on our current students website.

Ineligible courses

You will not be eligible for a loan if you are applying for one of the following courses:


Postgraduate taught

About your loans

If your loan application is successful, find out more about what to expect, including when and how your loan payment will be made.

Title IV loan code of conduct

Imperial's code of conduct for US loans is as follows:

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from the following:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders, or refusing or delaying loan certifications
  • Offers of funds for private loans
  • Call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance
  • Advisory board compensation.

 All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.