Staff tuition fee discount
- Check if you're eligible
- Staff who leave Imperial during or after the course has finished
- Discount available
- How to apply
The Tuition Fee Remission scheme enables eligible employees to take advantage of a tuition fee discount on a part-time postgraduate degree at Imperial.
The scheme is only available while you are employed at Imperial and only applies to the following types of degrees:
- postgraduate taught degrees (applies for all staff)
- postgraduate doctoral courses (e.g. PhD, EngD, MD(Res))
- integrated doctoral courses (only for full-time Research Assistants (RAs) and Clinical Research Fellows (CRFs))
Part-time RAs and CRFs and any RAs or CRFs applying for programmes other than those listed above (including stand-alone MRes programmes) will be treated as general members of staff.
The scheme is available to all full- and part-time employees who have a contract of employment with Imperial (including employees of wholly-owned subsidiaries):
- You must be employed for a minimum of 12 months before the start of your course. If you start a course before this, you will not be eligible for a discount on any part of the fee – the 12-month requirement does not apply for full-time Research Assistants (RAs) and Clinical Research Fellows (CRFs) but they must have started their employment with Imperial by the start of their course.
- Your contract must end on or after the date on the expected finished date of your course at the time you start it.
The following are not eligible for the Tuition Fee Remission scheme:
- employees holding an honorary contract with Imperial
- employees of Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- any employee, including Research Assistants (RAs) and Clinical Research Fellows (CRFs), who are externally funded
- children or partners of employees
- Employees who leave Imperial during the course or within a year of completing it will have to repay the discount received in full.
- Employees who leave Imperial after one year but within two years of completing the course will have to repay 50% of the discount receive.
- Employees who leave Imperial due to their contract coming to an end after the course has been completed will not have to repay any of the discount received.
- Eligible full-time employees will receive a discount of two-thirds the full Home fee for the relevant course, regardless of their own fee status. The remaining balance of the fee must be paid by the employee, their department or other sponsor.
- Eligible part-time employees will receive a discount of two-thirds the full Home fee for the relevant course pro rata the full-time equivalence of their contract, regardless of their own fee status. The remaining balance of the fee must be paid by the employee, their department or other sponsor.
- Full-time RAs and CRFs will be eligible to pay a fee of one-third of the full Home fee for the relevant doctoral programme, regardless of their own fee status. The relevant research programme will be deemed to be full-time following full-time milestones unless advised otherwise.
You will need to meet the normal entry requirements for admission to the course. Search our courses.
In addition, you will need to demonstrate a clear business case for the study benefiting your work and must obtain approval from your Head of Department to receive the fee remission.