It is important that you consult the relevant departmental and course information to view the programme specification, research areas and entry requirements for your chosen programme.  You will then need to submit a formal application for admission.  Applications are only accepted online. In order to apply online please complete the following steps:

  1. Go to our online application site, Apply.Imperial. We recommend you use either Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer to access our application site. 
  2. Create an account - you will be prompted to enter your name and email address and to create a password. You will then be sent an email that will allow you to verify your account and log in to our application site. 
  3. Once you have created an account please select the relevant programme type from the menu banner at the top of the application site. 
  4. Follow the instructions specific to your selected programme type in order to begin your application.

General information relating to applying to Postgraduate Taught and Postgraduate Research programmes can be found below. For information relating to applying as a visiting (non-degree) student or to one of our summer school programmes please visit our specific webpages on these schemes. 

How to apply

Applying for a Postgraduate Taught (MSc, MRes) Programme

  • To apply for a postgraduate taught programme (e.g. an MSc or an MRes) please complete our postgraduate taught online application form. Applications are only accepted online. 
  • You can submit one application form only. Each application form will allow you to choose up to two programmes to apply to; these will be processed according to your stated preference. Please note there may be some restrictions to which programmes you can nominate as a second choice. 
  • You will be asked to register the name and contact details of two academic referees. 
  • It will greatly enhance the processing of your application if you are able to submit scanned copies of your educational certificates and transcripts at the same time as your application.
  • Please note that applications to Imperial College Business School require an application fee, to cover the costs of associated with processing your application. For more information please visit the Imperial College Business School's website.

Applying for a Postgraduate Research (PhD) Programme

  • To apply for a postgraduate research programme (e.g. a PhD) please complete our postgraduate research application form. Applications are only accepted online.
  • You are strongly advised to contact a potential supervisor before making a formal application. You may wish to provide the supervisor with a copy of your Curriculum Vitae and indicate what your proposed topic of study is, the potential start date and how you propose to fund the project.
  • You can submit one application form only. Each application form will allow you to choose up to two programme to apply to; these will be processed according to your stated preference.
  • You will be asked to register the name and contact details of two academic referees. 
  • It will greatly enhance the processing of your application if you are able to submit scanned copies of your educational certificates and transcripts at the same time as your application.
  • If you are completing a Staff Research application, you will need to ensure you submit a scanned copy of your contract with Imperial at the same time as your application. 

Tabbed information block


Equivalent and lower qualifications

The Government does not provide funding to instututions for UK and EU 'second degree students', ie. students studying for a qualification that is at an equivalent or lower level than a qualification that they have already been awarded - these are referred to as 'ELQs'.  This change means that institutions may charge a supplementary fee for such students, in order to compensate for the withdrawal of government funding.

Some subjects, including many at Imperial, are exempt: science, technology, engineering, mathematics and some healthcare professions.

Imperial College London policy will determine what charges will apply to ELQ candidates in areas affected by this change. Further information will be made available to candidates at the time of offer, and will be made available online – please check back to this page.

PRI Scheme

Partner Research Institution (PRI) Scheme 

If you work in a public research institution, industrial research laboratory or at another university then you may be able to register for a PhD at Imperial but carry out the research where you work, under the PRI scheme. You will still need to spend at least two months of each year at the College, but the rest of the time can be spent at your other institution. 

If you wish to apply to be registered under this scheme you should first discuss this with your local supervisor and your Imperial supervisor.  Once a research project has been agreed, you can make a formal application to the College using the usual online application form

Once your applciation is received by your department, they will organise for the PRI/A Form  to be completed and submitted for appropriate checks and consideration by the Director of the Graduate School.  If the College is willing to accept your registration as a PRI student you will be made a conditional offer which reflect this.  For further information see:


Split PhD

‌Split PhD Scheme

It is not possible to obtain a PhD degree from Imperial College wholly on an external basis.  The overwhelming majority of research students who obtain their PhD at Imperial College follow a programme of study involving attendance on a full-time basis or on a part-time basis. However, under the Split PhD scheme the College occasionally permits students to carry out some of the research for a PhD abroad under approved conditions.  Generally, the objective of the split PhD scheme is to enable projects of particular relevance to the PhD student’s country to be conducted through in-country research combined with work at Imperial.  Arrangements are normally confined to institutions overseas with which the College has established links and/or connections and in cases where the research problem requires local fieldwork, for example, the study of a particular aspect of geology or biology.

All applications for split PhD programmes are considered on their individual merits.  Not all Departments in the College will necessarily entertain applications for a split PhD.

If a split PhD arrangement is approved, the student is required to be in physical attendance at Imperial College for a minimum of 12 months out of the normal 36 months duration of a PhD programme.  Sometimes a minimum attendance in excess of 12 months may be prescribed where there is evidence that the successful completion of the PhD requires it.

For further information on the scheme and instructions on how to apply see:


Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) and Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)

Accreditation of prior learning relates to the learning of individuals and can be defined as learning from the past that is subsequently credited against a (new) qualification and thus gives exemption from taking part of the qualification in question. APL relates to credit and exemption from part of a (new) programme of study, not to meeting admission requirements for a programme of study.

APL is dependent on the level, content and achievement of previous learning, and the congruence of the learning outcomes of the previous learning to the learning outcomes of the programme of study for which credit or exemption is being sought. Possession of prior learning does not confer right of entry to any programme of study.

The maximum APL which may be awarded for entry to a part-time postgraduate Masters is 30 ECTS studied at Masters level or equivalent. In order to be eligible for an award of the College a student granted APL must also study for a minimum of two-thirds of the programme, under the direction of teachers in the College. APL is not granted for entry to full-time postgraduate Masters degrees.

For more information on Imperial's guidelines for use of accrediation of prior learning (APL) and accreditation of prior experiential learning (APEL) please open our Guidelines for the use of accreditation of prior learning .

Transfer of Registration

Research Degree Students: Transfer of Registration for Admission

The College has made provision for students, in appropriate circumstances, to transfer their research degree registration from another university to Imperial; students accepted under these arrangements would be required to follow a course of study at one of Imperial College’s campuses of not less than 12 months full-time (or 24 months part-time). For more information regarding when a transfer of research degree registration is permitted, please read our notes on Transfer of registration for research degree students