Department of Chemistry
Total expected intake
190 (2023 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
6 : 1 (based on 2021 entry data)
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
Joint 3rd in the UK (Chemistry) – based on the proportion of world-leading research
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2022
3rd in the UK
Why choose Chemistry at Imperial?
Often called the ‘central science’, chemistry combines mathematics and physics together with the life sciences and applied sciences like medicine and engineering. Our researchers are working to develop new cancer treatments, create self-healing materials and make chemistry more sustainable.
Chemistry at Imperial is all about training you to become an expert in your field through problem-solving and hands-on practical experience. With state-of-the-art facilities at our main base in South Kensington and at the Molecular Sciences Research Hub at our White City Campus, we’re one of the leading chemistry departments in the UK.
The flexibility of our courses lets you follow your own path, whether that's through a year abroad, in industry or research, combining your studies with languages or management, or the enormous variety of modules inspired by our research.
Where could your degree take you?
Chemistry informs everything, from developing new pharmaceuticals that will help fight disease, to mitigating climate change. This means our graduates are recruited into practically every branch of industry.
Many choose to pursue a PhD, while others work in roles as diverse as industrial development, production and quality control, marketing, finance and teaching.
Recent graduates have become...
- Process Scientist, Drug discovery and development company
- Data Scientist, Tesco
- Graduate Audit Trainee, KPMG
- Research Scientist, Global snack company
- Graduate Scientist, Ministry of Defence
Explore our courses
Three-year course (180 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry (UCAS code F100)
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry with Management (F1NF)
- MSci Chemistry (F103)
- MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (F124)
- MSci Chemistry with Research Abroad (F104)
- MSci Chemistry with Molecular Physics (F1F3)
Four-year language courses (240 ECTS):
- MSci Chemistry with French for Science (F1R1)
- MSci Chemistry with German for Science (F1R2)
- MSci Chemistry with Spanish for Science (F1R4)
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry with Management and a Year in Industry (FN11)
- MSci Chemistry with a Year in Industry (F105)
- MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and a Year in Industry (F125)
- MSci Chemistry with Research Abroad and a Year in Industry (F101)
- MSci Chemistry with Molecular Physics and a Year in Industry (F1FH)
Due to the structure of the programme, it is possible to transfer between the different degree codings once at College, subject to the relevant approval. Additional entry requirements may also apply, such as proficiency in a relevant modern language for study abroad. Thus students should only apply to one degree course within the Department; there is no advantage in applying to more than one.
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your student visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.