Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is available to eligible Home students to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.
The type of support and how much you get depends on your individual needs – not on your household income.
You also do not need to pay it back.

When to apply for a DSA

You can apply for DSAs at any time during your course, but we strongly recommend you do so as soon as possible as the whole process can take up to three months.
You can apply for a DSA at the same time as you apply for student finance. 

Who is eligible?

If you qualify for government finance and you have a disability or impairment, including mental health difficulties and other unseen impairments such as dyslexia or a medical condition, you may be eligible for a DSA.

You will be asked to provide proof of your disability or impairment (e.g. a diagnostic assessment report, or a letter from a medical authority).

You will also be invited to attend a needs assessment with a specialist assessor once your application has been approved.

Find out more on the Government's student finance website.

What is covered?

The support you get depends on individual need but can include:
  • funding for specialist equipment (students must contribute £200 towards laptops or computers if either is recommended)
  • taxi allowances
  • non-medical help
  • printing and other general allowances

Disability Advisory Service

Students studying at Imperial can access certain support such as specialist study skills or study mentoring tutorials directly through Imperial's Disability Advisory Service.
We recommend making an appointment to discuss what support you may be able to access. 

More information

Please visit the UK government's DSA website for further information about applying for a DSA.
Also refer to Imperial's Disability Advisory Service for further guidance and support.