The Amelia and John Kentfield PhD Scholarships
Full tuition fees and a stipend of £22,900 for 3.5 years, and a £2,000 consumables budget for the first 3 years.
Number of awards
Mode of study
Full time, Part time
Available to applicants in the following departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Design Engineering
- Earth Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Eligibility criteriaCandidates' proposed project must align with Transition to Zero Pollution (TZP: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/zero-pollution/our-research/), I-X (https://ix.imperial.ac.uk/), or Space related research areas.
To be eligible, candidates must be:
- Female; and/or
- Of an underrepresented minority ethnicity; and/or
- Have a disability as defined at section 6 UK Equality Act 2010.
- Candidates should hold or achieve a Master's degree, in addition to a Bachelor's degree at UK Upper Second Class Honours Level or more.
- Candidates with degrees from overseas institutions should refer to the College Graduate entry requirements pages (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/apply/postgraduate-doctoral/entry-requirements/accepted-qualifications/) or check with the relevant Admissions team (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/apply/contact/) if their scores/grades are equivalent to the scholarship entry criteria.
- Candidates for whom English is not their first language must already have met English Language criteria (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/apply/english-language/) at the time of application or have made arrangements to sit an English Language test.
- The scholarships are only open to new PhD applications. Current registered Imperial PhD students are not eligible to be considered for this scholarship.
Application processApplication procedure:
1) Candidates should approach individual Imperial College departments and supervisors with details of their proposed project. It is essential that candidates make contact with departments/supervisors before submitting a PhD application.
2) Complete the application form through College's online admissions system for PhD programme (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/apply/postgraduate-doctoral/) and your department will put you forward for the scholarship based on academic merit and research potential.
3) An interview will be required for any shortlisted candidates before a formal offer can be made. The interview may be held virtually or in-person.
4) Scholarship-specific instructions for the admissions process are below; you must also meet any additional application requirements stated by your department of choice.
Scholarship-specific admissions instructions:
a) For the intake in academic year 2023/24, the earliest start date for funded places is 1 August 2023, the latest start date is 1 November 2023.
b) When prompted for a personal statement you must include a 2-page document. In the statement, please specify in the subject line that you intend to apply for the Amelia and John Kentfield Scholarships. The statement should include:
- your motivations for applying to Imperial College and the scholarship,
- your research proposal
- and any other supporting information not included elsewhere on the application form that you feel will enhance your application and you should outline.
You are encouraged to write in first person.
c) When prompted for the names of two academic referees, these should not include your proposed PhD supervisor. You are encouraged to share this guidance (https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/documents/equality/HHMI_WriteReference.pdf) with your two referees, noting, in particular, the recommendation to use they/them language (rather than gender pronouns).
Additional informationThe scholarship provides the following support during the 3.5 years of study: Full funding for tuition fees (at Home or Overseas rate as applicable for 2023/24); A stipend of £22,900 per annum (2023/24 rate) to assist with living costs; A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study.
Those candidates who have already completed the PhD online admissions form and would like to be considered for these scholarships, please contact your Department with an updated personal statement.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.