Department of Mechanical Engineering
Total expected intake
182 (2023 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
11 : 1 (based on 2021 entry data)
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
1st in the UK (Engineering) – based on the proportion of world-leading research
Why choose Mechanical Engineering at Imperial?
Mechanical engineering draws on other engineering disciplines, focusing your knowledge, skills, imagination and creativity to solve problems and design and develop a range of products.
We work continuously with industry to ensure that the courses, facilities and equipment which you will use remain relevant to the profession.
You will gain a true appreciation of manufacturing through project work which requires the use of manual and automated manufacturing tools in our student workshop.
You'll also have the chance to work on group projects and engage with the Department’s current research in areas like sustainable energy, medical engineering, robotics, structural integrity, battery technology and cleaner transport.
Where could your degree take you?
The technical, and product management skills gained from our courses are valued by many industries including consultancy, technical business roles and project management.
Our close industry links mean many of our graduates already have jobs lined up before they leave Imperial in areas like Formula 1.
Recent graduates have become...
- Mechanical Engineer, European Space Agency
- Graduate Nuclear Engineer, EDF
- Vehicle Dynamics and Simulation Engineer, Formula One
- Offshore Structures Wind Engineer, Engineering and design company
- CEO, medical prosthetics startup
Explore our courses
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (UCAS code H301)
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical with Nuclear Engineering*
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry and a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Nuclear Engineering and a Year in Industry*
* Apply initially for MEng Mechanical Engineering (H301)
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your student visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.