Department of Mechanical Engineering
Total expected intake
170 (2021 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
10 : 1 (based on 2019 entry data)
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020
2nd in the UK
The Guardian Good University Guide 2020
1st in the UK
About the Department
The education we offer is designed to turn the brightest, most ambitious students into twenty-first century engineers. Our courses will develop your knowledge, skills, imagination and creativity.
We work continuously with industry to ensure that our courses, facilities and equipment you will use remain relevant to the profession.
You will gain a true appreciation of manufacturing through project work which requires use of manual and automated manufacture tools in our student workshop.
There are opportunities to engage directly with research taking place in the Department. Areas include sustainable energy, medical engineering, robotics, structural integrity, advanced manufacturing and future transport technologies.
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (UCAS code H301)
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical with Nuclear Engineering*
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry and a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Nuclear Engineering and a Year in Industry*
* Apply initially for MEng Mechanical Engineering (H301)
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your Tier 4 visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.