Which English language tests do you accept and can I apply before I sit one?

We accept many different English language proficiency tests and qualifications.

For a full list, visit our English language requirements page.

As a sponsor of Student Route visas (formerly Tier 4), we can make our own assessment of applicants’ English language ability.

To do so, we require you to provide official evidence of the accepted English language test you have taken.

Once this English language requirement is satisfied, your Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – required as part of a Student Route visa application – will include a statement which confirms the College has made its own assessment of your English language proficiency. This means you will not need to provide this evidence on your visa application.

The only exception to this is pre-sessional English students, who are studying below degree level. They will need to take a Home Office approved English language test and provide evidence of this on their visa application.

Applying before you sit an English language test

You are welcome to submit an application before taking an English language test.

If you do so, and we choose to make you an offer, demonstrating that you meet the relevant English language standard will form part of your offer conditions.

You will need to send us the results of an  by the deadline specified in your offer.

We encourage you to make preparations to take an English language test as soon as you can to make sure you meet the relevant standard (either standard or higher – see our course pages for details).