President's Awards for Excellence in Education
The President's Awards for Excellence in Education are annual awards to recognise staff members who have made outstanding contributions in teaching, research supervision and supporting the student experience.
Nominations for the 2024 President's Awards for Excellence in Education can be made from Friday 26 January 2024 to Friday 15 March 2024.
Making a nomination
To make a nomination please use the online nomination system.
If you have any issues accessing the site please try:
1) Deleting anything after https://wwwc.imperial.ac.uk/apex/apps/f?p=1012 in the address bar
2) If you are off campus, ensure that you are using a college VPN/zscaler on your device is enabled. If you don't have zscaler on your device, you can download it from the Unified Access webpage.
3) Please clear your browser cache and refresh the page.
- Google Chrome - how to clear cache on Chrome
- Firefox - how to clear cache on Firefox
- Safari (Mac) - how to clear cache on Safari
- Edge - how to clear your cache on Edge
Details of the previous President's Medal and Award Winners are on the list of winners page.
Excellence in Teaching
These awards are for outstanding teaching quality, organisation, and presentation. This might be demonstrated by a combination of the following:
- Consistently high standards of teaching, assessment, and feedback
- Dedication to the provision of world-class education
- Preparation of excellent teaching materials to support student learning
- Sharing best practice in teaching with other colleagues
- Highly effective communication of ideas and concepts
- Creating an engaging and inclusive learning environment
- Sharing passion for the subject with students
This award category offers a maximum of four awards, including up to two Medals for Excellence in Teaching.
Excellence in Teaching Innovation
These awards are for outstanding teaching practice that demonstrates innovation. This could include excellence in the following areas:
- An innovative approach to interactive teaching and learning
- Development of online/digital tools to enhance the curriculum and/or innovate pedagogy
- Innovative assessment and feedback methods
- Fostering of an inclusive and diverse culture
This award category offers a maximum of four awards, including up to two Medals for Excellence in Teaching Innovation.
Outstanding Assistant Supervisor
These awards celebrate and recognise the valuable contribution that Postdocs make towards the supervision of the College’s PhD students. Eligible nominees are Postdocs who have completed the College’s mandatory training for assistant supervisors, who are fulfilling the roles and responsibilities of an assistant supervisor and individuals who are within the first 10 years of their postdoctoral research activity.
Nominees should show excellence in:
- being approachable and supportive
- fostering a welcoming and inclusive working environment
- providing effective feedback
This award category offers a maximum of three awards, including up to one Medal for Outstanding Assistant Supervisor.
Excellence in Research Supervision
These awards are for exceptional supervision, encouragement, and support of doctoral or postgraduate research students. This could include excellence in the following areas:
- Creating a stimulating environment for research
- Encouraging students to innovate and push boundaries
- Fostering an inclusive and diverse culture
- Being available, approachable, and supportive
- Offering high quality advice and guidance
- A strong record of successful student completion and progression
- A wider commitment to postgraduate education
This award category offers a maximum of three awards, including up to one Medal for Excellence in Research Supervision.
Excellence in Supporting the Student Experience
These awards are for outstanding contributions to enhancing the student experience made by any members of staff at the College (academic, professional, or technical).
- Implementing innovative approaches and good practice
- Providing high quality support to student academic activities
- Developing new procedures or systems which benefit student activities
- Provision of high-quality resources for students
- Delivering excellent student and customer service
- Fostering an inclusive and diverse culture
- Providing high quality pastoral support for students
This award category offers a maximum of four awards, including up to two Medals for Excellence in Supporting the Student Experience.