University Research and Enterprise Board
UREB Dates 2022/23
All meetings take place from 09.30 - 11.30
- 11 September 2023
- 11 October 2023
- 22 November 2023
- 13 December 2023
- 17 January 2024
- 21 February 2024
- 20 March 2024
- 17 April 2024
- 22 May 2024
- 19 June 2024
- 17 July 2024
The University Research and Enterprise Board (UREB) chaired by the Vice-Provost (Research and Enterprise), is a formal, sub-committee of the Academic Strategy Committee (a newly formed subcommittee of University Management Board). UREB works closely with the College Education and Student Experience Committee where interests overlap (such as knowledge exchange, innovation, commercial and social entrepreneurship, and PhD training). UREB promotes Imperial’s research and enterprise profile and its impacts, encourages responsible conduct of high-quality research, the development of a vibrant and inclusive research culture, reviews our regulatory obligations and considers service quality and growth opportunities for the College’s enterprise activities.
Terms of Reference:
- To inform the College community of external influences on the development of research
- To formulate, approve and review institutional positions and policies relevant to research,
including reports, concordats and consultations.
- To formulate, approve and review institutional positions and policies relevant to enterprise activities.
- To oversee the research and enterprise focus of the College’s Strategy and Academic
- To oversee and review major national and international research and enterprise
- To oversee stakeholder relationships, including those with the research councils, learned
societies, government, relevant industry and funder stakeholders.
- To oversee the College’s research infrastructure, including large-scale multi-user research
- To promote the generation of impact from the College’s research and to develop
approaches to maximise and quantify that impact.
- To oversee the College’s support for multidisciplinary working, including multidisciplinary
Networks, Centres and Global Challenge Institutes.
- To oversee the College’s professional development support for early career
- To oversee the College’s research computing services.
Receive and consider reports from:
- Research Advisory Group
- Enterprise Advisory Group
- Graduate School
- Library Services
- Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre
- University Open Research Group
- Research Computing Service
- Others as appropriate to the membership.
- Vice-Provost (Research and Enterprise), Professor Mary Ryan - Chair
- Vice-Dean (Research), Faculty of Engineering, Professor Julie McCann
- Vice-Dean (Research), Faculty of Natural Sciences, Professor Ramon Vilar Compte
- Vice-Dean (Research), Faculty of Medicine, Professor Graham Cooke
- Vice Dean (Research and Faculty), Business School, Professor Markus Perkmann
- Head of Postdoc and Fellows Development, Dr Liz Elvidge
- Head of International Relations Office, Mr Michael McTernan
- Director, Research Office, Ms Lynne Cox
- Director, Library Services, Ms Chris Banks
- Director, Enterprise, Dr Simon Hepworth
- Director, Graduate School, Professor Yun Xu
- Director, Strategic Planning, Ms Anna Shierson
- Associate Dean for Enterprise, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Professor David Klug
- Associate Dean for Enterprise, Faculty of Engineering, Professor Peter Cawley
- Associate Dean for Enterprise, Faculty of Medicine, Dr Mike Romanos
- Business School Representative. Co-director of the Deep Tech Institute and Professor of Entrepreneurial Finance, Business School, Professor Ramana Nanda
- Imperial College Union Representative, Jordon Millward
- Minute secretaries, Andreea Gavrilă and Lara Breckon
- Secretary, Emily Roche
The University Research and Enterprise Board will meet on a monthly basis between September and July. It is supported by the Vice-Provost’s Executive Officer, Emily Roche.