Creating accessible Office documents
As well as web pages and other online content, we must make sure that any digital documents we share are also accessible. This will ensure that everyone can easily get the same information from them.
Our top advice is to publish this information as web pages. If this is not possible then you must try to optimise your documents for visibility, hearing and mobility assistive technologies.
How to make your documents accessible
This guidance covers the main things that you can do to make your documents accessible. The instructions are for the latest version of Office 365 offered by Imperial. There may be some slight variance in the instructions for Windows, Mac and Office online.
General guidance - Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Add alternative (alt) text to images
- Make hyperlinks accessible
- Use heading styles properly
- Formatting tables
- Making accessible charts
- Checking the accessibility of your document
- Publishing accessible documents online
- PowerPoint guidance (WebAIM)
- Word guidance (WebAIM)
- Creating Accessible Documents in Microsoft Office (LinkedIn Learning course)